News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

HOMEMADE PERMETHRIN TICK SPRAY NEED HELP

Started by agturkey, March 06, 2011, 11:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulmyr

Quote from: wyetterp on April 07, 2023, 11:15:35 PM

Just cause all your stuff is covered in permethrin, consider the areas that aren't & exposed. They can still get to ya sitting against a tree or walking through brush. 

A first for me. Lesson learned. I hate all those suckers.

2 springs ago my hair was pretty long. By the time the end of the season rolled around and the ticks became more active I noticed the ticks were by passing my permethrin soaked clothing by getting in my hair from off the set up tree. Needless to say last spring I entered season with a new haircut!
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

eggshell

Didn't want to read through all the threads, but the ones I did I never saw a true formula. Usually the concentrates have directions for mixing, but here's a formula.

Desired amount of spray = 16 oz
desired concentrate of  permethrin=  10%
active ingredient of concentrate = 70% (this is just an example, look at your active ingredient level on your bottle)

16 (desired amount of mixed spray)  multiplied by .10 ( desired concentration of permethrin) divided by .70 (% active ingredient of concentrate) = 2.28 oz of concentrate needed

enter like this :  16x.10/.70 =2.285

add the 2.28 oz to the empty container and then fill with distilled water up to 16 oz. This is the proper way to make solutions.
Done it for 30 years in the lab. Like others said be sure it is water soluble.

Twowithone

Ive been using the 18-1 recipe no bugs yet. 18oz distilled water to 1 oz permithion 10.
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

Bottomland OG

Quote from: FullChoke on March 11, 2011, 01:04:16 PM
Quote from: Skeeterbait on March 11, 2011, 12:51:43 PM
Before you run out and buy the first 10% permethrin you find, realize that many agricultural permethrin concentrates are oil based and not water based like Permanone.  Need to look around and fine a water based solution for use on clothing.

Great heads-up on that.
^^^^^^ What they said. I use a 13% permethrin
19 oz of water to 1 oz of permethrin. Not sure what the percentage is on that but it works. I spay my clothes down outside let them dry and your good to go. Also keep a bottle in the truck and spray from the knees down when I go hunting. I hunt the mountains, ticks are thick and knock on wood I never get one on me.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Bottomland OG on March 30, 2024, 11:07:33 AM
Quote from: FullChoke on March 11, 2011, 01:04:16 PM
Quote from: Skeeterbait on March 11, 2011, 12:51:43 PM
Before you run out and buy the first 10% permethrin you find, realize that many agricultural permethrin concentrates are oil based and not water based like Permanone.  Need to look around and fine a water based solution for use on clothing.

Great heads-up on that.
^^^^^^ What they said. I use a 13% permethrin
19 oz of water to 1 oz of permethrin. Not sure what the percentage is on that but it works. I spay my clothes down outside let them dry and your good to go. Also keep a bottle in the truck and spray from the knees down when I go hunting. I hunt the mountains, ticks are thick and knock on wood I never get one on me.

I have had a very hard time finding water based, never have as a matter of fact. I found some online the other day but they won't ship it to NY they will ship the petroleum based to NY Go figure.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."