OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: USE TICK SPRAY GUYS ...  (Read 33542 times)

Offline Turkeyman

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: USE TICK SPRAY GUYS ...
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2019, 02:03:43 PM »
I've also been spraying, after diluting, with the 36.8% concentrate. Unless you have a "Lyme aware" doctor he/she may not give you the best advice. In my case, I picked up some ticks (9) in KS several years ago. A couple days later I noticed the tell-tale bullseye on my collarbone. I was at a buddy's place in MO and I went to his doctor who gave me a 10 day script for doxycycline and told me to go to my doc when I got back home (NY). I went to my doc. I had to darn near argue with him to get an additional script! I was candid with him...I told him WTF if I was a teenager with acne you'd write it for me..he did. That was a number of years ago and I think most doctors are more Lyme aware these days.

Offline Owl

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2019, 01:10:41 AM »
The ticks are insane down in southern Ohio during spring. Walk 100 yards through tall grass and you're guaranteed to be covered in them. I completely douse my cloths and skin in Picaridin and Deet. They still crawl on me but really don't latch on which is good. I have never tried Permethrin but after hearing all the talk on here, I'm for sure going out to get some and load my clothing up.

Lyme disease is no joke. What's crazy is that there used to be a vaccine for it but he vaccine manufacturer discontinued production in 2002, citing insufficient consumer demand as the reason for discontinuing it. That's nuts, I would get one in a heartbeat if it was still around.

Offline HFultzjr

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2019, 07:28:13 AM »
Some nice reading material for those interested.
https://www.cdc.gov/lyme/prev/vaccine.html
 :newmascot:

Offline Zeke6685

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2019, 11:27:42 PM »
I bought some of the Sawyers permethrin today. Gonna try it this year.

Offline Owl

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2019, 11:40:27 PM »
Same here, bought myself a bottle today as well. I'll let everyone know how it works for me.

Offline Usahuntingear

• Usahuntingear
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2019, 08:01:20 AM »
AS far as ticks and a few others, get yourself sprayed, BUT for you guys that run dogs, dont forget about your best friend, visit your vet and get your dog immunized.
One day at a time.

Offline Dark Whiskey

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2019, 03:19:03 PM »
Agreed, some scary stuff out there,

Offline tree-rat sniper

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2019, 07:51:00 PM »
I've been using the Sawyer stuff for years (since my dog tested positive for it).  Neighbor's boys got lyme last year...
NRA Life Member/Pistol Instructor, NWTF, SCI (former DU, VHA & HHI).  Non Gratum Anus Rodentum!

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2019, 10:26:24 PM »
Ordered this and some Rynoskin gloves https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00061MSS0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I know the gloves don't work against ticks but they do against skeeters and they are lightweight and very comfortable in the blind, I use one of their face masks in the blind plus they are both black in a blackened blind which I like.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline HFultzjr

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2019, 09:07:31 AM »
Ordered this and some Rynoskin gloves https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00061MSS0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I know the gloves don't work against ticks but they do against skeeters and they are lightweight and very comfortable in the blind, I use one of their face masks in the blind plus they are both black in a blackened blind which I like.

Good stuff......................I've been using it for the last couple of years.
 :z-winnersmiley:

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2019, 09:10:21 AM »

Good stuff......................I've been using it for the last couple of years.
 :z-winnersmiley:
Somebody here pointed it out to me because I wanted to water based variety, I don't recall who it was though.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Offline Gooserbat

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Achondroplasiaphobia is real.
    • Gooserbat Game Calls
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2019, 08:03:10 PM »
I've had an autoimmune disease for several years.  Fast forward to 5 months ago and I saw a new doctor
  A few tests later and to my surprise I have had Lyme.  Trust me the side effects will last a long time if not as in my case a lifetime.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2019, 12:38:29 PM »
Some nice reading material for those interested.
https://www.cdc.gov/lyme/prev/vaccine.html
 :newmascot:
Found this out when I was able to start hunting again a few years ago. I had gotten this shot before 2 or 3 seasons when the deer ticks were getting really bad. Last one I had would have to have been in 2001

John Koenig:

Offline Bagg-it Tag-it

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2019, 12:15:57 PM »
For those of you who don't trust your math on the proper amount of permethrin to water. Both concentrates are here....the stronger one (36.8%?) and the 10%. (see the attachment below)

Offline HFultzjr

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2019, 08:01:54 AM »
For those of you who don't trust your math on the proper amount of permethrin to water. Both concentrates are here....the stronger one (36.8%?) and the 10%. (see the attachment below)

Nice reminder/reference.
Thanks.
 :thanks: