OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

USE TICK SPRAY GUYS ...

Started by Old Gobbler, March 06, 2019, 09:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Improvinghunter101

The Sawyers bottle says odorless.  I treat my deer stuff with it as well and I haven't noticed an issue with it.

eggshell

I spray swayers on me evety trip and the only tick bite I have suffered is from a tick I got working in the yard without treated clothes. My buddy turned it down when I offered and he got several ticks off himself and then 5 days later came down with Lyme disease....he made a trip to walmart the same day to get some sawyers.

bigriverbum

this week our temps jumped 30 degrees.  put on my stanky unwashed drake ol' tom tactical shirt that was sprayed last year.

when i took it off at the end of the morning, the tick stuck in my arm was already dead.  the spray works

Steve

Man those things give me the heeby jeebies. That would suck to not be able to eat meat again...Wow!

76chevy

Yeah it's almost crazy how well permethrin works.  The first year I used it I was blown away.  zero ticks and I always had a few on me before.

Quote from: TTG on May 01, 2021, 08:32:22 PM
Today REALLY made me a believer. I've used it for a few years now and really haven't found ticks on me since. However, today was a true test while I had .05% Martin's mix and my buddy had nothing.

Buddy and I went to a new spot today, had a mile and a half walk in to the back of a big chunk of public. Most of it was through varying grasses, from ankle high to stomach high. We sat down at our first setup and in the span of about 10 minutes I watched him pull 6 or 7 off. Throughout the morning, he was constantly pulling them off his neck, arms, and legs. Get back to the truck and we pull 6 off the outside of his shirt, 7 off his back and stomach attached to skin, and 2 or 3 on the car ride home. Overall, I would confident say he had 25 or so on him.

Now, the whole morning I was paranoid. Yes I've used this mix before and have had good results. But with the ridiculous number of ticks he pulled off him this morning I was fully expecting to still find a couple. Get home, strip and do a good search...0 ticks. Never saw one on me all morning either. I honestly was shocked but super excited to see that first hand. I did tuck my shirt into my pants and my pants into my socks which I'm sure made a big difference too. Color me impressed.

Notsoyoungturk

Another reminder to use your spray. New tick born diseases continue to be found.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in collaboration with Mayo Clinic and health officials from Minnesota, Wisconsin, and North Dakota, report the discovery of a new species of bacteria (Borrelia mayonii) that causes Lyme disease in people. Until now, Borrelia burgdorferi was the only species believed to cause Lyme disease in North America.

Limited information from the first six patients suggests that illness caused by B. mayonii is similar to that caused by B. burgdorferi, but with a few possible differences. Like B. burgdorferi, B. mayonii causes fever, headache, rash, and neck pain in the early stages of infection (days after exposure) and arthritis in later stages of infection (weeks after exposure). Unlike B. burgdorferi, however, B. mayonii is associated with nausea and vomiting, diffuse rashes (rather than a single so-called "bull's-eye" rash), and a higher concentration of bacteria in the blood.

To date, the evidence suggests that the distribution of B. mayonii is limited to the upper midwestern United States. The new species was not identified in any of the approximately 25,000 blood samples from residents of 43 other states with suspected tickborne disease taken during the same period, including states in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic region where Lyme disease is common.
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

Muzzy61

Quote from: kayl on May 07, 2022, 11:13:11 PM
I turkey hunted for the first time this spring and sprayed my stuff, never ran into any ticks, but it was pretty cold out. I don't normally treat my deer stuff, do you guys and have you noticed any odor issues?

Here in florida I treat for anytime i'm in the woods. Haven't noticed any bad responses during deer season.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

gobrunner

I see Amazon has Swayers twin pack of 24 oz for $24.09 that a good price.

bkraft

Dumb question. I generally water proof my hunting clothes with Camp Dry before each season, so do I treat for ticks first and then water proof(which makes sense to me),or forget the water proofing and just spray for the ticks? Never turkey hunted before is why I/m asking.

paboxcall

Quote from: bkraft on March 26, 2023, 10:17:22 AM
Dumb question. I generally water proof my hunting clothes with Camp Dry before each season, so do I treat for ticks first and then water proof(which makes sense to me),or forget the water proofing and just spray for the ticks? Never turkey hunted before is why I/m asking.

The tick needs to come into direct contact with the residuals from the permethrin spray product to be effective. If you are going to waterproof, do that first and let if fully dry, then spray the Sawyers over that.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

SDK

I got the last bottle of Sawyers on the shelf at my local Walmart. Not sure if there has been a spring run on it, but maybe don't wait if you need some....

Sir-diealot

Quote from: SDK on March 28, 2023, 11:54:01 AM
I got the last bottle of Sawyers on the shelf at my local Walmart. Not sure if there has been a spring run on it, but maybe don't wait if you need some....
Just make your own, much cheaper in the long run and only takes a few minutes.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

SDK

Quote from: Sir-diealot on March 28, 2023, 12:50:58 PM
Quote from: SDK on March 28, 2023, 11:54:01 AM
Just make your own, much cheaper in the long run and only takes a few minutes.

Thanks and I will check into that when this one runs out.

76chevy

amazon had the big bottle for $12 seemed like a good price compared to box stores at 15 to 17 usually

wyetterp

Quote from: bkraft on March 26, 2023, 10:17:22 AM

Sounds like a smart question to me...

I would do a soak method with ziplock bags if it's already been camp dry. That or spray really heavy on the inside of anything you camp dry.

Personally I would bag soak, hang & dry, then camp dry.

As a side note to everyone....

Make sure to cover your bases on your face, ears, neck or anywhere openly exposed as well.

Just had a tick embedded in my eyelid on the outside. Had to get a doc to deal with it & given medications after the fact.

All my clothing & vest was sprayed heavy with permethrin & the sucker still got me in the one place I never even considered.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.