OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: USE TICK SPRAY GUYS ...  (Read 33681 times)

Offline hoythunter

Re: USE TICK SPRAY GUYS ...
« Reply #60 on: February 29, 2020, 05:28:36 PM »
Thank you for that link. Lots of good info there.

Offline Notsoyoungturk

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
    • Reel South Outfitters
« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2020, 07:24:51 AM »
Whether you use premixed or mix your own, use something.  We continue to find new tick borne illnesses everyday.  Everyone is familiar with Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever and Lyme Disease.  We also have Tularemia, Babesiosis, Anaplasmosis, STARI (Southern Tick Assciated Rash Illness), Powassan Disease, Erlichiosis, Heartland Virus, Tick Borne Relapsing Fever, etc....  The single most important factor in preventing these diseases in avoiding bites.  Since we cant avoid places where ticks live, we do it by treating our clothing.  Why?  Powassan virus can be passed in as little as 15 minutes post tick attachment.  Other illnesses take longer so the next most important thing is checking yourself after hunting and removing ticks as soon as possible.  It takes approximately 36-48 hours for ticks to pass on the bacteria responsible for Lyme Disease, 24 hours for Erlichiosis and 10-20 hours for RMSF.  Unfortunately, it is the smaller, immature, nymphal ticks that pass the disease so they can be much harder to see. 

Bottom line: Treat your clothes before hunting and check your body after hunting
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

Offline Here turkey turkey turkey

« Reply #62 on: March 07, 2020, 12:05:08 PM »
Ticks can get pretty bad here in Eastern Ky. I actually got bit by a deer tick in November, it left a bruise. That is the first one to my knowledge that I have ever seen of that kind. I hear the lone star ticks are really hard on people. I use “OFF” when ginsenging but I must sweat it off because it don’t seem to work very good.
To disarm the people...Is the most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason, referencing advice given to the British Parliament by Pennsylvania governor Sir William Keith, The Debates in the Several State Conventions on the Adooption of the Federal Constitution, June 14, 1788

Offline Notsoyoungturk

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
    • Reel South Outfitters
« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2020, 01:19:33 PM »
The CDC recommends treating clothes with 0.5% permethrin and using DEET based bug repellents.
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

Offline mhamby

« Reply #64 on: March 08, 2020, 09:23:51 PM »
Treat your clothing, inside and out, treat your skin. Be didligent about checking yourself once you are out of the woods. Bring a change of clothes and bag your clothing before getting into your truck if you have kids or passengers.
I got Lyme Disease about 5 seasons ago. The muscle cramps were agonizing and the fatigue/joint pain was horrible. It hit me hard. I was allergic to the three best antibiotics used to treat it. By time I got meds on board that helped and didn’t cause a reaction, it had done near run it’s course. The long term damage is still there.
Alpha Gal is even worse. The bad part about it is that the Anaphylaxis encountered is a delayed reaction, often three hours after consuming mammalian meat. Most folks don’t realize what’s actually causing the reaction. I’ve encountered cases of it while working EMS and folks had no clue what was going on. It’s bad stuff guys and gals. I’ve been diligent about treating my self and clothing and also changing out of my hunting attire before getting into my truck. I’d hate for one of them buggers to get in my truck and find one of my kids. Be safe out there.
As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Offline SCGobbler

• Ya can't fix stupid!
« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2020, 11:36:19 AM »
The CDC recommends treating clothes with 0.5% permethrin and using DEET based bug repellents.
Be very careful with the DEET based products. They will melt certain plastics but are very effective against ticks and mosquitoes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The SC Gobbler

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters.
                    —Archibald Rutledge

Offline SCGobbler

• Ya can't fix stupid!
« Reply #66 on: March 09, 2020, 11:39:09 AM »
I just applied a very liberal dose of self-mixed Permethrin yesterday and let my shirts hang on the back porch overnight to dry. It leaves a pretty strong chemical smell, keep that in mind when you bring them back inside the house.  Also until it dries, I think it is pretty toxic to felines.

The SC Gobbler

—Archibald Rutledge

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #67 on: March 09, 2020, 01:19:49 PM »
I just applied a very liberal dose of self-mixed Permethrin yesterday and let my shirts hang on the back porch overnight to dry. It leaves a pretty strong chemical smell, keep that in mind when you bring them back inside the house.  Also until it dries, I think it is pretty toxic to felines.

Felines and aquatic life. I used the one with no petroleum and the only thing that smelled was a very heavy zip up sweater that I really used a lot on. It also took forever to dry.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline SteelCityArcher

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Complacency Breeds Failure
« Reply #68 on: April 14, 2020, 11:31:50 AM »
Such a serious topic with so much information out there. Sometimes it's hard to know what's effective and what  might or might not work.

For instance, some people eat garlic or onions as a natural deterrent. If it works for them, GREAT! Keep doing what works. For me, all it does is earn me a night sleeping on the couch and some heartburn.

My wife swears by covering her entire body in baby oil or Skin So Soft prior to applying her Deet spray. She claims that the ticks do not like the oily surface when trying to attach. She has never had a tick attached to her, so I do not doubt it's effectiveness. Others claim tree tea oil does the same.

Personally, some things I do that I don't see mentioned often are as follows:

1. I start out by using a repellent-based body wash and shampoo called Top Secret BioShield.
Whether guys think it's effective or not is up to them. I surely wouldn't use it alone. I still apply deet after my shower, of course. Once again, just another line of defense that is worth it to me.

https://www.bioshield-rx.com/shop/bioshield-body-wash-and-shampoo-12oz/

2. Wear a tight fitting base layer. Yes, compression wear. You can find compression wear so breathable and lightweight that it can be worn in even the hottest conditions. The tighter fitting the better, but make sure it's comfortable. This provides a layer that ticks have a really hard time getting under, which is a great line of defense. So important. Yes, I personally look like a fat stuffed piece of polish sausage in the stuff, but my camo goes over top, so no other hunter's get to witness my manly physique.:help: 

3. I always wear rubber boots turkey hunting, but no matter what boots you wear I highly recommend not tucking your pants into your boots. Pulling your pant legs down over rubber boots surely isn't the best fashion statement, but who cares? Your open boot tops are are great access point for ticks. I have a friend who duct tapes his pant legs and sleeves shut. It works for him and it's effective.

4. I also started using Elimitick Clothing. Not only do I use it hunting, I wear it in the fields while food plotting, brush hogging, you name it. It does work and is effective.

https://gamehide.com/why-gamehide/elimitick/

Below, I've also added a list of other ways to protect yourself. Some are common and well-known, but it is good advice.

If this information helps one person with some new ideas, it was worth the time sharing it.

Stay safe out there guys!
:cowboy:

Six Easy Steps to Keep Ticks Away

These simple steps can help you keep ticks away to avoid tick bites and tick-borne diseases.

1) Wear protective clothing to keep ticks away. Especially important are long pants, which should be tucked into high socks. Ticks generally latch on to a passing critter (you!) and crawl up, looking for a spot to burrow in and feed. Light colors will help you spot the ticks. A couple of years ago, in what wasn’t even a “bad” year for ticks, I took a short hike that passed through a brushy field and found nine brown dog ticks on my light gray socks when I got back to the car.

2) Use a DEET-based insect repellent to keep ticks away around your ankles, wrists (preferably with a light-colored, long-sleeve shirt) and on your neck. Put repellent on your clothing at the entry points (aerosol or pump sprays are best for this), not just on your skin. Caution: This may discolor some clothing, so if you care about looking chic, you may want to change clothes. Our favorite repellent after years of testing is 3M Ultrathon; it stays on longer when you’re hot and sweaty than anything else we’ve ever tried. Sad to say, none of the “natural” (non-Deet) products we’ve tried seem to actually work. If you choose not to use a DEET-based repellent, be extra careful with protective clothing. Find what works best for you.

3) Leave Ticks Outside. If you can do so without getting arrested, disrobe outside your house or your tent when returning from an outdoor adventure, to avoid bringing ticks in with you. Put your potentially-ticky clothing in a plastic bag (perhaps with a spritz of insecticide) and seal it until you can wash it. Some experts recommend putting your clothes in the drier on high heat for 30 minutes to desiccate and kill any hitchhiking ticks before washing–just be careful that no ticks drop off before you get the clothes in the dryer.

4) Tick Check! Check yourself carefully at the end of any outdoor adventure (even a stroll across your lawn). It takes awhile for an embedded tick to transmit disease and a tick check should be as much a part of your daily routine as brushing your teeth before bed. If you don’t have a companion to help, carry a mirror to examine spots you can’t see easily. Remember the “National Geographic” videos with chimpanzees grooming each other?  Yes, they’re removing ticks, lice, etc…feel free to make appropriate chimp noises while helping someone do their tick check. Tick checks with your partner can lead to some "other" fun activities! Use your imagination!  :camohat:

5) Carefully remove any ticks you find by pulling gently with tweezers or using any one of the myriad tick pullers on the market. We’ve had excellent results with the Ticked Off; it puts pressure on the skin and allows you to push the tick up and out. Killing ticks can be difficult; they’re remarkably well armored.  Best bets are to flush them, or, if you are regularly in tick territory, to carry a little bottle with rubbing alcohol in it…just drop the ticks in, put the cover back on, you’re done.

6)Don’t panic!It takes 24 hours for any disease to be released into you. After you remove the tick, take a pen, draw a circle around the bite, and monitor it for changes. See your doctor immediately as a precaution, but especially if you develop any disease symptoms like swelling, fever, a rash, etc.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 12:41:24 PM by SteelCityArcher »
"I will not tip-toe through life only to arrive safely at death."

Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.
No Guns. No peace. No safety.

Offline roberthyman14

« Reply #69 on: April 14, 2020, 07:04:16 PM »
Such a serious topic with so much information out there. Sometimes it's hard to know what's effective and what  might or might not work.

For instance, some people eat garlic or onions as a natural deterrent. If it works for them, GREAT! Keep doing what works. For me, all it does is earn me a night sleeping on the couch and some heartburn.

My wife swears by covering her entire body in baby oil or Skin So Soft prior to applying her Deet spray. She claims that the ticks do not like the oily surface when trying to attach. She has never had a tick attached to her, so I do not doubt it's effectiveness. Others claim tree tea oil does the same.

1. I start out by using a repellent-based body wash and shampoo called Top Secret BioShield.
Whether guys think it's effective or not is up to them. I surely wouldn't use it alone. I still apply deet after my shower, of course. Once again, just another line of defense that is worth it to me.

2. Wear a tight fitting base layer. Yes, compression wear. You can find compression wear so breathable and lightweight that it can be worn in even the hottest conditions. The tighter fitting the better, but make sure it's comfortable. This provides a layer that ticks have a really hard time getting under, which is a great line of defense. So important. Yes, I personally look like a fat stuffed piece of polish sausage in the stuff, but my camo goes over top, so no other hunter's get to witness my manly physique.:help: 

3. I always wear rubber boots turkey hunting, but no matter what boots you wear I highly recommend not tucking your pants into your boots. Pulling your pant legs down over rubber boots surely isn't the best fashion statement, but who cares? Your open boot tops are are great access point for ticks. I have a friend who duct tapes his pant legs and sleeves shut. It works for him and it's effective.

4. I also started using Elimitick Clothing. Not only do I use it hunting, I wear it in the fields while food plotting, brush hogging, you name it. It does work and is effective.

Below, I've also added a list of other ways to protect yourself. Some are common and well-known, but it is good advice.

If this information helps one person with some new ideas, it was worth the time sharing it.

These simple steps can help you keep ticks away to avoid tick bites and tick-borne diseases.

1) Wear protective clothing to keep ticks away. Especially important are long pants, which should be tucked into high socks. Ticks generally latch on to a passing critter (you!) and crawl up, looking for a spot to burrow in and feed. Light colors will help you spot the ticks. A couple of years ago, in what wasn’t even a “bad” year for ticks, I took a short hike that passed through a brushy field and found nine brown dog ticks on my light gray socks when I got back to the car.

2) Use a DEET-based insect repellent to keep ticks away around your ankles, wrists (preferably with a light-colored, long-sleeve shirt) and on your neck. Put repellent on your clothing at the entry points (aerosol or pump sprays are best for this), not just on your skin. Caution: This may discolor some clothing, so if you care about looking chic, you may want to change clothes. Our favorite repellent after years of testing is 3M Ultrathon; it stays on longer when you’re hot and sweaty than anything else we’ve ever tried. Sad to say, none of the “natural” (non-Deet) products we’ve tried seem to actually work. If you choose not to use a DEET-based repellent, be extra careful with protective clothing. Find what works best for you.

3) Leave Ticks Outside. If you can do so without getting arrested, disrobe outside your house or your tent when returning from an outdoor adventure, to avoid bringing ticks in with you. Put your potentially-ticky clothing in a plastic bag (perhaps with a spritz of insecticide) and seal it until you can wash it. Some experts recommend putting your clothes in the drier on high heat for 30 minutes to desiccate and kill any hitchhiking ticks before washing–just be careful that no ticks drop off before you get the clothes in the dryer.

4) Tick Check! Check yourself carefully at the end of any outdoor adventure (even a stroll across your lawn). It takes awhile for an embedded tick to transmit disease and a tick check should be as much a part of your daily routine as brushing your teeth before bed. If you don’t have a companion to help, carry a mirror to examine spots you can’t see easily. Remember the “National Geographic” videos with chimpanzees grooming each other?  Yes, they’re removing ticks, lice, etc…feel free to make appropriate chimp noises while helping someone do their tick check. Tick checks with your partner can lead to some "other" fun activities! Use your imagination!  :camohat:

5) Carefully remove any ticks you find by pulling gently with tweezers or using any one of the myriad tick pullers on the market. We’ve had excellent results with the Ticked Off; it puts pressure on the skin and allows you to push the tick up and out. Killing ticks can be difficult; they’re remarkably well armored.  Best bets are to flush them, or, if you are regularly in tick territory, to carry a little bottle with rubbing alcohol in it…just drop the ticks in, put the cover back on, you’re done.

6)Don’t panic!It takes 24 hours for any disease to be released into you. After you remove the tick, take a pen, draw a circle around the bite, and monitor it for changes. See your doctor immediately as a precaution, but especially if you develop any disease symptoms like swelling, fever, a rash, etc.

Top secret is good stuff.  All the products the label work.  They are made 30 minutes from my house. 

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #70 on: April 14, 2020, 11:56:04 PM »
Just reposting this with bigger print for those of us that do not have a bionic eye.

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline CT Spur Collector

• The Boss Gobbler
  • I don't feel so well.
« Reply #71 on: April 16, 2020, 05:02:25 PM »
I must say, I purchased my Permethrin at Tractor Supply before last spring season. I used the mixture process stated on these threads. Sprayed all my clothes liberally and hung out to dry. Hunted in WV and PA all season, did refresh once.  Not a tick did I find.....neither on me walking nor embedded.

Now...this comes from a guy that's been bit 35 times....that is: dug them out....I've never been tested for Lyme but probably should.....I'll always use this spray...absolutely works without question.....Stay safe.

Offline Moneyball11

« Reply #72 on: April 18, 2020, 08:53:31 PM »
Huge Sawyer spray fan. Keep a bottle in my toolbox at all times.

Offline SCGobbler

• Ya can't fix stupid!
« Reply #73 on: April 18, 2020, 08:59:11 PM »
So far my homemade blend of permethrin is doing the trick. I haven’t had one tick yet.

I don’t think it will hold up to washing though.

The S.C.Gobbler
IG: @scgobbler
James 1:2-4

“Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters.”
           —Archibald Rutledge
The SC Gobbler

—Archibald Rutledge

Offline SCGobbler

• Ya can't fix stupid!
« Reply #74 on: April 27, 2020, 02:48:33 PM »
So There is about two week left in the SC season and I have not had any issues with ticks.  Don't know if they are just not out yet or not, but it has been a pretty cool Spring so far for SC.  Plenty of days last year I was sweating at the end of the day.  This year at the end f te day I have been mildly uncomfortable.

No ticks, Doesn't seem to kill spiders though as I have still seen a few of those crawling here and there.

But no ticks.
The SC Gobbler

—Archibald Rutledge