OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Federal Heavyweight 6 and 7 and Remington 20

Started by ahfox16, March 06, 2019, 08:27:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ahfox16

Bought a back up turkey gun last night via Gunbroker and picking it up next week.  870 with 25" barrel and factory tubes.  I have about 16 boxes of Federal Heavyweight in size 6 and size 7.  Do I need a non-ported tube and what do folks recommend.

Thanks much.

DBell

Quote from: ahfox16 on March 06, 2019, 08:27:43 AM
Bought a back up turkey gun last night via Gunbroker and picking it up next week.  870 with 25" barrel and factory tubes.  I have about 16 boxes of Federal Heavyweight in size 6 and size 7.  Do I need a non-ported tube and what do folks recommend.

Thanks much.
I've read a lot of older threads giving the trulock .565 a lot of praise with the heavyweight. Also hear a lot about sumtoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KyScott

If I remember right it is supposed to be shot with a non ported but can be shot with the ported Hevi 13 choke.  I bought one last year for a Browning Silver 20 gauge and it shot the #7's very in a very nice pattern at 40 yards. Never tried the #6's. The Hevi 13 chokes can be bought at a pretty good deal if you do some shopping online but if you aren't worried about saving any money then there are a lot of options out there. Jeb's, Carlson, Sumtoy, Rob Roberts, Trulock etc. Some of these companies will let you send the choke back and ship you another size if you're not satisfied with the pattern which is very nice!

savduck

My 870 was very finicky. I finally found the choke it likes

Trulock 560 TSS chokes. It's shooting 175 with fed 7s
Georgia Boy

dirt road ninja

That load does better with no wad strippers or ports from what I've read.

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: dirt road ninja on March 28, 2019, 06:12:59 AM
That load does better with no wad strippers or ports from what I've read.
Yes and no.  My Carlson's. 575 shoots pretty well in my 870.  Screwed in a ported Primos Tightwad and it's a real killer now, shooting both 7s AND 6s extremely well.  My Encore shoots the 7s just ok and wouldn't pattern the 6s for anything with any standard Turkey choke.  Screwed in aTruGlo SSX (has wad stoppers and porting) and it'll even do 110+ at 40 with the heavyweight 6s.  The wads are softer in the 20 gauge loads than the 12s and respond much more readily to different chokes.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

ahfox16

I tried 4 chokes this week with the Heavyweight 6's and I couldn't get the 870 to pattern and gave up on the shell and shot Longbeards (which were awesome).  Best with the Heavyweight 6 was the Sumtoy 562 and that was about 80 hits.  Also tried a 567 Sumtoy and a Remington Superfull at 572 and a Comp n choke XX Full.

lowoctane

Quote from: ahfox16 on April 01, 2019, 11:18:04 AM
I tried 4 chokes this week with the Heavyweight 6's and I couldn't get the 870 to pattern and gave up on the shell and shot Longbeards (which were awesome).  Best with the Heavyweight 6 was the Sumtoy 562 and that was about 80 hits.  Also tried a 567 Sumtoy and a Remington Superfull at 572 and a Comp n choke XX Full.
What choke did the Long Beards like?

I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Greg Massey

Either choke will be fine .. Sumtoy 562 or Trulock 565 .. the 565 is what i use little more open for that close up shot .. little more wiggle room....

Greg Massey

Quote from: lowoctane on May 26, 2019, 05:55:12 PM
Quote from: ahfox16 on April 01, 2019, 11:18:04 AM
What choke did the Long Beards like?

Never have shot the longbeards .. but my gun does great with Federal HW with Trulock 565

lowoctane

Does the Sumtoy have multiple grooves in it? Thx! :camohat:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

tnanh

Ithas multiple groves in it like straight rifling.

BINK McCARTY

savduck

The two chokes that shoot best out of my 870 are the truglo ssx 555 and trulock choke made for the heavyweights and even the new one made for tss. Ive patterned about 20 other chokes.
Georgia Boy

Greg Massey

Quote from: DBell on March 06, 2019, 08:54:23 AM
Quote from: ahfox16 on March 06, 2019, 08:27:43 AM

Thanks much.
I've read a lot of older threads giving the trulock .565 a lot of praise with the heavyweight. Also hear a lot about sumtoy

X2 ... either one of these chokes ... i have the Trulock 565 , awesome choke ....