OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Decoys; God's Gift to hunters or a SIN in the spring woods?  (Read 2046 times)

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
Decoys; God's Gift to hunters or a SIN in the spring woods?
« on: March 06, 2019, 06:42:24 AM »
How do you feel about the present glut of turkey decoys and their effect on the future of our sport?

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Offline 3seasons

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
Re: Decoys; God's Gift to hunters or a SIN in the spring woods?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 09:33:58 PM »
It doesn't bother me one way or another if you use a decoy or not. Its personal choice. I personally very very rarely use one(couldn't tell you the last time I used one for myself)  although I keep a small inflatable one in my vest. I'll use one if I'm taking some one new or my daughter or some other youth. It allows them to have a little wiggle room where as if you didn't have one then after the first flinch the bird would bust you. 

I've used different decoys in the past but now I have a DSD jake and avain X hen and let me tell you that DSD is unreal at fooling a gobbler. I've never seen anything like it.   But I'm not about to carry all that around with me all the time.  If you've got an old field bird that's hard headed it may be just what you need to get him to come on over into range

As far as the future of the sport..........the sport is growing thanks to social media, YouTube, tv and forums like this. Its a catch 22 in my opinion.  A lot of new hunters learn how to hunt from these arenas and don't have the luxury of having a real mentor or someone to show them the ropes and teach them the right way to go about things nor taught respect. Not saying you can't learn from tv or the internet but you'll be highly disappointed if you think its going to be like you see it on the screen. So if a person thinks they need a popup blind 3 decoys and whatever else they think and they are willing to lug it all into a spot go ahead,  they will slowly realize that its not necessary. On a plus though if they have all that stuff there isn't enough daylight in the day for them to get to where I like to hunt. Just my $.02

Offline harleytom

• The Boss Gobbler
    • Tinypic
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 09:41:26 PM »
I don't have a strong feeling one way or another. I personally have had them help me and also hurt me on certain hunts with birds either running into a set of decoys or shying away and circling around them. Sometimes I use them but often I don't, depending on how I choose to hunt that area/day and what I think the conditions call for. In any case, as usual I feel to each their own, hunt however you like and afford me the same opportunity. They certainly are not a cure all or unfair advantage, IMO.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Offline xarcher

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 02:49:58 AM »
I've used decoys on occasion, usually when with others.  And they usually bring them.  But I am in the "to each his own" camp so it doesn't bother me.  When alone, I am trying to make that last move to get in tight with a bird I'm working so having to run another 20 yards closer is risky.  Just don't see the need to carry one around and try to play the game without one. 

Guns don't kill people.  Guns kill food.

Offline Pilgrimhunter

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 05:51:36 AM »
I use decoys a fair bit. Guess I have frankly never really thought of them negatively. Definitely can help but can be a pain also. Something freeing about leaving the decoys at home at times and just hunting.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Offline Pooh4459

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2019, 06:39:39 AM »
I think the fans and everyone trying to reap a turkey is bad for the sport. For one people that don't know any better see a video of it on Facebook and think turkey hunting is super easy. It's dangerous and now you got idiots trying it everywhere all the time.

Offline paintbrush

• Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2019, 10:39:33 PM »
I use decoys sometimes. If I'm hunting Easterns in the open fields where I sit a lot, I will put a couple out, but I don't use them when hunting Rio's or Merriam's cause I run-n-gun for those. I duck hunt a lot in the fall and always set out dekes for them, so I don't have a problem with using them on turkeys. It's just another tool to use. To each their own.