turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey with a longbow

Started by Bill from NJ, March 05, 2019, 10:44:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CAPTJJ

Turkeys have shoulders? I learn something new every day, lol.

Happy

They have shoulders. I have heard the knuckle is almost impenetrable. So Bill what longbow are you shooting. I am starting to look into maybe getting a traditional bow to tinker with. I used to shoot without sights but that's about as primitive as I took it.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Bowguy

Happy,
Realize you're gonna drop draw weight n prob draw length. I'd buy used because best bet is to start out low, learn the form and when/if you're body gets ready move up.
Different muscles are involved somewhat and it takes time.
Buying used,  it already depreciated in value. You can buy a bow n sell it for the same thing or trade it for more weight. Be advised, right about 50 pounds n up the market is not there. Lots trad guys are older and always looking to go down. A bow say 52 or higher is almost a steal.
I bought two Robertson Primal Overdrive bows. One Bocote, one Cherry w a bow bolt option (takedown) n sheep horn tips, handle beaver wrapped.
Both the bows were newish. One a year old, one a month. They're both over a grand.  I paid 400 n 425. The guys couldn't sell em and couldn't draw em. Think about that.
Also idk if you understand stacking? It's where a bow goes from a smooth, light poundage increase on the draw to a jump upward. Some bows stack after certain lengths so get one that's made suitable for your draw length. This doesn't always mean real long. Just the way bow is built.
Bill, CaptJJ, Coyote1, Dixiearcher,  Gooserbat n myself are all trad familiar, (off the top my head) along w others, so there's guys to ask questions to when you're ready.

Bill from NJ

Happy,

Bowguy just stated some very good information to you.

Start with a low poundage bow at first to build up your muscle strength first.

Lower poundage bows are better to start with because it will help you with your form, and also help with holding more accurately on target.

Shooting accurately with a lower poundage bow is more important than shooting a heavier bow.
Even here in the People's Republic of NJ. The minimum bow poundage is 35# for a bow to hunt deer and bear.

I have gone in a complete circle in the past 50 years.

Went from a longbow, to a recurve, to those bows with training wheels when they came out in 1970's.

For me, and it is only my own personal opinion, Wheel bows with all of the bells and whistles just don't do it for me anymore. Did it, done it, been there, got the Tee shirt.
It does not take much practice to become very proficient using one. It is true you can shoot faster arrows, longer distances, with tighter groups. But then again you have peep sights, front sights, plungers, and all kinds of things to make it easier for you. I just got bored with those noisy contraptions.

Now, on the other side of the spectrum...
Recurves shoot faster than most longbows. Recurves limbs can twist causing all kinds of headaches. Recurve finger pinch. Chasing string slap noises, etc... Recurves are a little fickle for me.

The longbow...
Looking back on it now, I should of just stuck it out with using the Longbow all along.
I like many others before me, I was looking for something new, something faster, exciting, blah, blah, blah.
The longbows today rival many recurves in performance without all of the recurve problems. And shoot whisper quiet. I remember someone mentioning "as quiet as a mouse peeing on cotton".

Getting older, normal wear and tear on the body, having multiple surgeries on shoulders and elbow has taken its toll on the body.
Dropping down to a 45 pound Longbow has helped me considerably. Read up on the older legends of bow hunting.  You might be surprised the majority of American men used a 45# to 50# bow.

Starting with traditional bows, you will shoot a lower poundage traditional style bow, with shorter arrow length.
Just try it and you will get hooked. It takes time and skill to shoot traditional style bows, but after shooting the stick and string awhile and bagging your first deer. You will never go back to training wheels again.

Best of luck to you in your future endeavor,

Regards,

Bill
Ephesians Chapter 6:12

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Happy

Thanks Bill I have tinkered with a 30lb recurve. I like the design of a long bow but I like the idea of a more compact design of a recurve for hunting. No doubt i will have to drastically drop draw weight though. Now that you have officially labeled yourself as an elitist and hurt my feelings I should cry foul but you have my utmost respect for that style of hunting. I believe I will always enjoy shooting and hunting with a compound just because I like tinkering and tuning them. But I want to become proficient with a traditional bow and eventually kill some deer. If I can get good enough to shoot 25 yards then that's plenty. Heck 80% of my compound kills are under that range. Thing is if I get started in that direction it's gonna be wood arrows and the works. I already assemble my own for compound and not much changes other than point installation.

Bill from NJ

Happy,

You stated: "Now that you have officially labeled yourself as an elitist and hurt my feelings"

Holy Molie do you have me all wrong.

I am sincere in my apology to you if I gave you that awful impression of me. I am as far from some bow snob as you can ever imagine.

All I as trying to say was give it a try, and to start with a lower pound Traditional Style bow.

I have used Bear, PSE, and Hoyt compounds for years. I just got bored because it just became too easy for me and I was looking for a challenge.

I meant no disrespect whatsoever towards you and your gear.

Have fun and enjoy being "Happy".

Regards,

Bill

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Happy

You didn't offend me at all Bill. It was a joke. Please don't take me too seriously. You have absolutely nothing to apologize over.

Bill from NJ

'"You didn't offend me at all Bill"

O-Tay, Mr Happy

coyote1

Sorry Bill. I have never hunted turkey with my recurve. I'm learning from your thread.

Happy,

Bowguy and Bill gave you really good information.

I will add that starting out with a take down recurve or longbow with limbs that aren't expensive is the way to go in the beginning imo. Samick sage is a low priced option for a recurve and I believe they make a take down longbow also. Limbs are around $80 or less so it doesn't cost you a fortune to build draw weight.

I would start at 40# and work your way up. It's a ton of fun shooting stick bows and the satisfaction of taking game with one is second to none.

Bow length depends on your draw length. If you have a 31" draw your options are more limited than a person with a 28" draw.

With practice you should have no problem becoming proficient at 25 yards. I would be happy to answer any questions you have.

If you do like a long bow the hybrid models allow you to shoot longbow about the same length as a recurve. I have a 58" longbow that is very comfortable to shoot.

Happy

Thanks fellows, I am going to look into some more. I definitely would be interested in something I could swap limbs out on and move up. It's always something I have enjoyed and as a kid the chipmunks were always under attack from my arrows. It's definitely something that requires a lot more of an investment in time to master.