OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

DSD Decoys - Public Land

Started by ssramage, March 04, 2019, 11:28:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PSEoutlaw07

Its pretty much been answered already but even on public land that is not really crowded, I wouldn't use the decoys in a field or near a road where somebody can see it from a long way away and mistake it for a real bird. People walk roads, and they glass fields!!
I would say in the hardwoods may be alright, odds are you would hear somebody coming before they are too close plus I would say 75% of public land turkey hunters just walk the roads and either scream on a crow call, owl hooter, or yelp on a box call as loud as possible to get a shock gobble, and if one don't gobble they don't go trekking through the hard woods

mtns2hunt

I think using decoys on public land is like those guys hiding behind a turkey fan. Forget what its called.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

jryser

Quote from: mtns2hunt on March 12, 2019, 09:41:42 PM
I think using decoys on public land is like those guys hiding behind a turkey fan. Forget what its called.
Reaping

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

unclee

The only time I had a long beard come in on a Jake decoy,  he froze up out of shooting range.

Now I just use hen decoys...

ssramage

Thanks for all of the feedback guys.

Honestly, I've never used a decoy on public land because of all of the reasons mentioned. I have however seen a lot of videos lately and read reports of people doing it successfully, so I wondered how much of the feedback I've seen was "scare tactics" vs actual real life experience. We'll leave them in the truck...I don't want to carry them as far as I walk anyways!  :icon_thumright: