OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: DSD Decoys - Public Land  (Read 3546 times)

Offline PSEoutlaw07

Re: DSD Decoys - Public Land
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2019, 02:30:37 PM »
Its pretty much been answered already but even on public land that is not really crowded, I wouldn't use the decoys in a field or near a road where somebody can see it from a long way away and mistake it for a real bird. People walk roads, and they glass fields!!
I would say in the hardwoods may be alright, odds are you would hear somebody coming before they are too close plus I would say 75% of public land turkey hunters just walk the roads and either scream on a crow call, owl hooter, or yelp on a box call as loud as possible to get a shock gobble, and if one don't gobble they don't go trekking through the hard woods

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2019, 09:41:42 PM »
I think using decoys on public land is like those guys hiding behind a turkey fan. Forget what its called.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Offline jryser

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2019, 11:13:22 PM »
I think using decoys on public land is like those guys hiding behind a turkey fan. Forget what its called.
Reaping

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline unclee

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2019, 09:37:34 AM »
The only time I had a long beard come in on a Jake decoy,  he froze up out of shooting range.

Now I just use hen decoys...

Offline ssramage

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2019, 09:43:19 AM »
Thanks for all of the feedback guys.

Honestly, I've never used a decoy on public land because of all of the reasons mentioned. I have however seen a lot of videos lately and read reports of people doing it successfully, so I wondered how much of the feedback I've seen was "scare tactics" vs actual real life experience. We'll leave them in the truck...I don't want to carry them as far as I walk anyways!  :icon_thumright: