OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Gobbler Yelping??

Started by Texforce, February 06, 2019, 10:56:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texforce

If I wanted to Gobbler yelp, does anyone make a diaphragm call more suited to his "deeper" voice?
Or do any of you guys use a particular diaphragm to mimic the Tom?? Thanks for any input, & Good Huntin'

SD_smith

You can do it with your normal mouth call. Just really have to take the tongue pressure off the reeds quite a bit.

fallhnt

....and slow it down a touch.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

TRG3

YouTube is a great place to listen to turkey calls.

Ctrize

I use a clear double and like others said draw or slow it down a bit.  :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an

Illini Tom

i've had good success calling in fall toms using a gooserbat bacon diaphragm. it has a heavier top reed that makes a difference for me making gobbler yelps

Happy

Less tongue pressure, little slower cadence and usually fewer yelps.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

G-dub

Hard to beat a slate for gobbler yelps.  IMO, it's a call that is overlooked in the spring, especially in the afternoon and/or with call shy birds.

Kylongspur88

Quote from: G-dub on March 07, 2019, 03:39:55 PM
Hard to beat a slate for gobbler yelps.  IMO, it's a call that is overlooked in the spring, especially in the afternoon and/or with call shy birds.

Agreed

EZ

All gobbler bone wingbone!!!

FullChoke

I have found that I can get a good gobbler yelp by calling with a mouth call set way back in my mouth. When you start calling make the yelps deliberate, fully formed, controlled and steady. I believe that gobbler yelps sound almost like a yapping yellow yard dog.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

g8rvet

Don't know if this will help, but in my head I say 'Chop, chop, chop" as I make the sound.  I mimic that with the call in my mouth, kinda.  I did get a gobbler that had gone quiet to respond to it.  I did not kill him.  I suck. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

G-dub

For whatever reason, a couple of years ago gobbler yelps were the only thing the old toms would come to.  Once I figured it out, it was a lot of fun.  Slate calls are always the most productive for me with gobbler yelps.

Clardh

Quote from: g8rvet on March 11, 2019, 05:00:02 PM
Don't know if this will help, but in my head I say 'Chop, chop, chop" as I make the sound.  I mimic that with the call in my mouth, kinda.  I did get a gobbler that had gone quiet to respond to it.  I did not kill him.  I suck.

X2 and like the other say...less tongue pressure, slow it down and for me, I use less air from my diaphragm and more air from my cheeks. If that makes any sense. Lol