turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Videotaping Turkey Hunts

Started by macobb, March 05, 2019, 09:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macobb

I am looking to start video taping my turkey hunt when I can. I want a decent video camera around the $500 mark. I am just wanting to video just for my own enjoyment. I am looking for suggestions one cameras tripods and external mics. I am very new to this aspect. I definitely want something with decent stability and focus but want to attach an external mic for better audio quality. Any advice tips or recommendations are greatly appreciated.
Always wondering wether or not to give a cluck

MK M GOBL

So a camera at $500 or are you asking for complete setup at $500?

MK M GOBL

Jrkimbrough

I just bought a Canon Vixia HF R800 to video with this spring.  It was around $200.  Plan on also buying a fluid head and an external shotgun mic.  I'm a newbie when it comes to video but the above gear was highly recommended by other guys who video.

I'm gonna have about $325 in my complete setup. 

ssramage

Quote from: Jrkimbrough on March 06, 2019, 10:38:51 AM
I just bought a Canon Vixia HF R800 to video with this spring.  It was around $200.  Plan on also buying a fluid head and an external shotgun mic.  I'm a newbie when it comes to video but the above gear was highly recommended by other guys who video.

I'm gonna have about $325 in my complete setup.

I bought the same at Christmas. I probably have less than $500 in my total setup. I also have a couple GoPro Hero 4's for different angles and just got a Tactacam 4.0 for the barrel. Not sure all of it will be used but I have it just in case I decide I like filming.

SD_smith

I highly suggest a camera that is LANC compatible. I use a canon hf r800 and love it but really would be nice to be able to use a a varizoom remote

ssramage

Quote from: SD_smith on March 06, 2019, 02:33:27 PM
I highly suggest a camera that is LANC compatible. I use a canon hf r800 and love it but really would be nice to be able to use a a varizoom remote

Agreed...I didn't realize this when I bought but wish I had known.

macobb

Can you explain what LANC compatible means? What does the Varizoom remote do? I'd prefer to keep it all as close to 500 as possible but will pay 500 for a camera if it makes that much of a difference

MK M GOBL

Quote from: macobb on March 06, 2019, 09:56:21 PM
Can you explain what LANC compatible means? What does the Varizoom remote do? I'd prefer to keep it all as close to 500 as possible but will pay 500 for a camera if it makes that much of a difference

It allows for "remote" operation, from the tripod handle.

Here is my setup.

MK M GOBL

Jrkimbrough

Quote from: MK M GOBL on March 06, 2019, 11:58:57 PM
Quote from: macobb on March 06, 2019, 09:56:21 PM

It allows for "remote" operation, from the tripod handle.

Here is my setup.

MK M GOBL

What camera are you using?

MK M GOBL

macobb

Appreciate the tips. I'll look into that. It'd be nice. Lot less chance of getting busted.

jims

You can get great camcorder deals if you are willing to keep your eyes open on Craigslist..some of which are almost new condition.  I would highly recommend a camcorder with more than 20x zoom.  There actually aren't that many available.  I've done a lot of video over the years and it seems like I never quite have enough power.  If you don't have decent zoom power the turkeys will look mighty small when 100+ yards away. 

Another fun idea is to add a remote control camcorder or gopro to a small tripod next to your decoys that is pointed in the right direction to get strutting toms up close and possibly even get video of your shot.  Fun stuff!

allchokedup

I purchased a Canon Vixia HF G20 at a good price on eBay.
My remote is a Revo VRS LANC remote, very cheap on eBay for about $ 25
It works good so far, but it's not no where near the quality as a Varazoom remote.
The Tripod is a Zomei fluid head tripod. Got it off Amazon for $40. Again, the tripod is cheap but works great .

catman529

If you get into LANC, external mics, etc you're going to be WAY over the $500 mark.

You can get a good camera for $500 that has an external mic input. A good external mic is gonna be well over $100 if you actually want improved audio quality over the camera's onboard mic.

Im big into Panasonic camcorders. The onboard mics are good quality already. They range from 20x to 50x optical zoom depending on the model. The higher end consumer models (roughly in the $500-1000 range) all have mic inputs and some have manual focus as well. I only use manual focus in certain situations. When self filming, you won't have time to fool with manual focus when a bird is coming in. It's hard enough to self film turkey hunts.

Microphones.... A lot of people like shotgun mics, and those are ideal for recording people talking at the camera. However I use a stereo mic, because it records two channels left and right and creates a more realistic feel of the woods, especially when watching with headphones. I've been using a Rode stereo videomic pro for a few years now, and I love the sound quality. Only complaint is the rycote shock mount is kind of noisy and comes unclipped from the mic sometimes.

If you're just filming for yourself and not any real production quality then don't overthink it or throw too much money at it. A $300 camcorder can do a great job even with the stock microphone. You can use the $20 Walmart tripods and they will break eventually but they're only $20. I used them for a good while before finally buying a better one.

Start simple and affordable and then decide where you need to upgrade. Filming can get expensive really fast, but it doesn't have to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

macobb

Quote from: catman529 on March 12, 2019, 11:10:21 AM
If you get into LANC, external mics, etc you're going to be WAY over the $500 mark.

You can get a good camera for $500 that has an external mic input. A good external mic is gonna be well over $100 if you actually want improved audio quality over the camera's onboard mic.

Im big into Panasonic camcorders. The onboard mics are good quality already. They range from 20x to 50x optical zoom depending on the model. The higher end consumer models (roughly in the $500-1000 range) all have mic inputs and some have manual focus as well. I only use manual focus in certain situations. When self filming, you won't have time to fool with manual focus when a bird is coming in. It's hard enough to self film turkey hunts.

Microphones.... A lot of people like shotgun mics, and those are ideal for recording people talking at the camera. However I use a stereo mic, because it records two channels left and right and creates a more realistic feel of the woods, especially when watching with headphones. I've been using a Rode stereo videomic pro for a few years now, and I love the sound quality. Only complaint is the rycote shock mount is kind of noisy and comes unclipped from the mic sometimes.

If you're just filming for yourself and not any real production quality then don't overthink it or throw too much money at it. A $300 camcorder can do a great job even with the stock microphone. You can use the $20 Walmart tripods and they will break eventually but they're only $20. I used them for a good while before finally buying a better one.

Start simple and affordable and then decide where you need to upgrade. Filming can get expensive really fast, but it doesn't have to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks man. I appreciate the advice. For now it's just for me but who knows. I may post some but for what I'm looking for I think you're right. More important to not overthink it at the moment.