News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New shotgun load???

Started by BINK McCARTY, March 04, 2019, 06:50:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowoctane

Quote from: jrmcclure on March 04, 2019, 05:04:43 PM
Boss bird shells are $6 a shell plus shipping. They may be great guys, but I see lead being the tried and true proven economy load and those that used to shoot hevi can now shoot hw or tss for roughly the same cost. I see two groups around me. Set in there way lead shooters and those that want performance and willing to pay for it. Hevi shots just not leading the pack no more.

Winchester xx $1.20 a shell
Longbeard xr $1.80 a shell
Federal hw 7's $3 a shell
20 gauge 1 5/8oz #9 tss. $5.40 a shell
12 gauge 3" 1 3/4oz #9's tss $7.00 a shell

Well, looked at 3" mag 12's and they're packed 20 in a box by their ad at 31.00 per box. Looks like 1.55 a round before tax and shipping. :camohat:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

owlhoot

Quote from: lowoctane on March 05, 2019, 04:40:35 PM
Boss bird shells are $6 a shell plus shipping. They may be great guys, but I see lead being the tried and true proven economy load and those that used to shoot hevi can now shoot hw or tss for roughly the same cost. I see two groups around me. Set in there way lead shooters and those that want performance and willing to pay for it. Hevi shots just not leading the pack no more.

Well, looked at 3" mag 12's and they're packed 20 in a box by their ad at 31.00 per box. Looks like 1.55 a round before tax and shipping. :camohat:

looks like turkey loads are packed 5 to a box to me.
Waterfowl large shot loads look to be 20 rounds though.

lowoctane

Quote from: owlhoot on March 05, 2019, 05:15:30 PM
Quote from: lowoctane on March 05, 2019, 04:40:35 PM

looks like turkey loads are packed 5 to a box to me.
Waterfowl large shot loads look to be 20 rounds though.
I saw 12 ga 3"x5's. Dunno... :camohat:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

owlhoot

yes great deal for 5's in the red boxes .
For the turkey 6.5 shot .
go to home , then scroll down to boss life. you'll see the boxes , and the description will come up as you hover over it.

jrmcclure

Best I can tell the turkey loads are 5 to a box and waterfowl loads are 20. Not really a terrible price for the waterfowl loads, velocity's from 1250-1450 may not pattern the tightest and seems to be just 4's and 5's. I'm still waiting on the hw 8's, but seems everyone just skipped straight to tss #9's.

Ranger007

I shot the Boss waterfowl this year on ducks with the 20 ga. Its a killer in the 20. It's much better than steel same weight as bismuth 9.6 or so g/cc. The turkey loads are 13 g/cc.

I have heard the owner on a few podcast and he goes into detail on the Boss Tom. Seems to be great guys everything they do is 100% USA Made.  :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an

This is why they don't have 18g/cc tss because it's not made in US.

BINK McCARTY

lowoctane

:morning:
Great info! Thx! Guess I'm gonna try the waterfowl loads and see if I can get a pattern as I'm not a shooter of TSS. Curious how they'll stack up against LB's... :camohat:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

lowoctane

Talked to Brandon and ended up ordering a box of 20 in 3"x5. He recommended a factory full choke, so we'll soon see... :camohat:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

DBell

Alright so here's some boss tom patterns
Remington 870 21" barrel
Trulock .565
Bead site
40 Degrees F
Light and intermittent breeze
All shots at 40 yards measured
Targets show hits in the 10 inch circle and hits 2-3 inches outside of the circle.

If I only play the number of hits in the 10 game, it doesn't look great, but it did throw a pretty even hunting pattern with room for error

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DBell

Quote from: lowoctane on March 06, 2019, 03:35:01 PM
Talked to Brandon and ended up ordering a box of 20 in 3"x5. He recommended a factory full choke, so we'll soon see... :camohat:
12 or 20 gauge?

gobblers roost

I will stick to tss hut best of luck

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

DBell

Quote from: gobblers roost on March 19, 2019, 12:39:05 PM
I will stick to tss hut best of luck

I won't be hunting with these. Mostly just wanted to test em. Company seems like some great guys. Unfortunately we can't use anything smaller than 6 here, so no point using TSS for me. Sticking with longbeards and grand slam

gobblers roost

That's  ashame hope they pass the law  to use  tss 7 or 9's

DBell

Hey guys, I have to give an update on the boss tom loads. I don't like to report bad news but out of two five round boxes (I originally bought 4 boxes), I had 2 "dud" rounds. The first one made a fizzle sound when I fired, had no recoil, and the wad was actually stuck in the choke tube. After getting the wad out, I took the barrel off and looked down and it was full of unburned powder. I took pic and video and sent it to boss. They did right and sent me another box, saying that it could have been the cold temps and the fact that they use a slow burning powder. I don't think that was the case as it was 40 degrees that day. (The rest of shells in the box shot with no problems as well as 4 shells from the second box). Today (several weeks later) I decided to shoot some more rounds and had 1 shell left from box #2. I fired and it made a good pop as if it fired fine, but there was hardly any recoil and  all the shot hit about 2 feet in front of my 3ft x 2ft target. I reported this to Boss, they have read my message but no response yet. I told them that I now have 3 boxes of this ammo that I will not ever trust in the field.

If you owned a company, how would you go about making this right?