OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: New shotgun load???  (Read 4386 times)

Offline BINK McCARTY

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Beak first in th' dirt...
New shotgun load???
« on: March 04, 2019, 06:50:49 AM »
 ??? Anyone heard of Boss Tom shotshells? Supposed to be a # 6.5 pellet (???) weighing 13g/cc ? Made in America  :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an and between $25-$30 / box for the 12 , and $25 for the 20 @ 5 shells per box.

Offline Turkeytider

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: New shotgun load???
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 07:39:50 AM »
No, and not sure I see any advantage to Hevi 13 based on the description.

Offline DBell

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 09:50:40 AM »
??? Anyone heard of Boss Tom shotshells? Supposed to be a # 6.5 pellet (???) weighing 13g/cc ? Made in America  :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an and between $25-$30 / box for the 12 , and $25 for the 20 @ 5 shells per box.
Would be interesting to try as a hevishot alternative at the same price. I was reading they use ground walnut shells as buffer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TrackeySauresRex

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2019, 09:56:37 AM »
Here’s the link.

https://bossshotshells.com/boss-tom-shells/
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Offline Deputy 14

• Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 10:09:45 AM »
May make a good waterfowl shell too. Cheaper than Hevi Duck.

Offline DBell

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2019, 01:08:18 PM »
I sent these guys a message on their Instagram to ask how the 20 gauge load does. He replied with “Brandon is gonna head outside and take a patterning video for you right now.” Stay tuned

Offline BINK McCARTY

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2019, 01:53:26 PM »
No, and not sure I see any advantage to Hevi 13 based on the description.
  Well it does weigh more...not much but more.

Offline BINK McCARTY

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2019, 01:54:41 PM »
I sent these guys a message on their Instagram to ask how the 20 gauge load does. He replied with “Brandon is gonna head outside and take a patterning video for you right now.” Stay tuned

Look forward to that!!!

Offline DBell

New shotgun load???
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2019, 03:33:41 PM »

Look forward to that!!!

Alright this is pretty cool. These guys took the time to go shoot a pattern and send me the video. I took a screen shot of the 40 yard pattern from the end of the video. You could see and hear the wind rippin a fair bit in the video and it’s cold as all heck where they are. You can tell most of the shot is in a 20 inch circle (with the majority in the 10). He flips the target around because the POI was off and that’s why I took the screen shot when he shows the back of the target;you can see the pattern better).

Choke is a Carlson .575

Props to these guys for going above and beyond. Might order a few boxes just because that was awesome.

Offline nyhunter

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2019, 03:58:57 PM »
 :icon_thumright: Looks like a darn nice pattern to me

Offline BINK McCARTY

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2019, 04:46:46 PM »
Talked to Brandon on the phone a little bit ago and man was he helpful!!!! He was telling me a little about the product the how and where it's made and mainly it's made in the USA :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an I truly believe that these fellas are onto something here and are very eager to get what I think is gonna be a great alternative to those that want a little more downrange energy than hevi-shot but obviously not as much as TSS but also without the pricetag of TSS into the hands of us turkey hunters.I guess we will see!!!

Offline jrmcclure

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2019, 05:04:43 PM »
Boss bird shells are $6 a shell plus shipping. They may be great guys, but I see lead being the tried and true proven economy load and those that used to shoot hevi can now shoot hw or tss for roughly the same cost. I see two groups around me. Set in there way lead shooters and those that want performance and willing to pay for it. Hevi shots just not leading the pack no more.

Winchester xx $1.20 a shell
Longbeard xr $1.80 a shell
Federal hw 7's $3 a shell
20 gauge 1 5/8oz #9 tss. $5.40 a shell
12 gauge 3" 1 3/4oz #9's tss $7.00 a shell

« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 05:16:57 PM by jrmcclure »

Offline jrmcclure

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2019, 05:15:42 PM »
I wish someone would come out with a #7.5 or #8 hw 15g/cc load and priced right. If boss tom would load up a 12 gauge 2oz load of hw 8's I'd have to try a few box's. They got creative and went to the 6.5 hevi, but if hw 8's are possible I think it would get some attention for sure.

Offline DBell

New shotgun load???
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2019, 06:04:10 PM »
Talked to Brandon on the phone a little bit ago and man was he helpful!!!! He was telling me a little about the product the how and where it's made and mainly it's made in the USA :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an I truly believe that these fellas are onto something here and are very eager to get what I think is gonna be a great alternative to those that want a little more downrange energy than hevi-shot but obviously not as much as TSS but also without the pricetag of TSS into the hands of us turkey hunters.I guess we will see!!!

You’re also getting 1 1/2 oz payload vs hevi shot 1 1/4. I was told 207-210 pellets per ounce. So just over 300 total. Not too bad sounding.

Offline BINK McCARTY

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2019, 11:04:16 PM »
I wish someone would come out with a #7.5 or #8 hw 15g/cc load and priced right. If boss tom would load up a 12 gauge 2oz load of hw 8's I'd have to try a few box's. They got creative and went to the 6.5 hevi, but if hw 8's are possible I think it would get some attention for sure.
Now THAT is a GRRRRREAT sounding idea!!! I love the Boss Tom idea but I have been hung up on the Federal Heavyweight load since its inception but let's face it there are just not too many choke tubes it shot well with because of that stinkin FCW and now federal has left the 15g/cc shot behind and moved on to the TSS world. But I think the sphero tungsten is a great compromise between hevi and TSS.