OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Help with Encore  (Read 1295 times)

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
Help with Encore
« on: March 02, 2019, 07:13:38 PM »
Just purchased a 20g barrel for my encore. New for-end coming in Thursday. My question is what choke? I have read a ton of posts on this forum and some of the information gleaned: It takes an invector, mossberg or win choke thread. The factory choke is about .665 (not 100% sure here) and may not be great. Has anyone had good success with the factory choke?

I will be using #9 TSS and although I have two boxes plan on having some LB as back up.

I would like to use a Carlson choke.  I see suggestions for .555 to .575 for the 20 but am still unsure.

There is a lot of chatter about Sumtoy on this forum. Will the Sumtoy chokes work with Tss. If so which ones.

Out of curiosity would the same constrictions work for LB #5. LB's have been very good to me in my 12g and was wondering how they may perform in the 20 g. All advice is appreciated and I apologize if some of my questions are redundant.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 08:10:20 PM by mtns2hunt »
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Offline JHoyle

Re: Help with Encore
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 08:08:48 PM »
I shoot a .570 haymaker out of mine. Shot this today. 40yds. Handload #9s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Candyman

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 08:53:33 PM »
I went with a sumtoy 562. Very pleased with the results. I just got the barrel a few weeks ago. Shooting federal       1 1/2 of 9’s. I just got a roll crimper today. I will load my own very soon but will probably hunt with the Federal since I am sighted in and ready.

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2019, 09:40:35 PM »
That is a tight pattern. I like it. I will look at the Haymaker. Thanks for sharing.

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2019, 10:25:45 PM »
I went with a sumtoy 562. Very pleased with the results. I just got the barrel a few weeks ago. Shooting federal       1 1/2 of 9’s. I just got a roll crimper today. I will load my own very soon but will probably hunt with the Federal since I am sighted in and ready.

Reading a lot about the Sumtoy chokes. In fact I am learning a lot about all the different chokes. I will start looking at some patterns before deciding. Appreciate the feedback.

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2019, 09:30:59 PM »
Well ended up with an Indian Creek .555. Pattern is about the size of a volley ball at 35 yards. Would a .577 open up the pattern? Also noticed the wad is next to the target and the wad does not open up at all. Is this normal? I noticed on a video the wads are cut to open when hand made. There is also some protective wrap surrounding the shot. Does this take the place of a solid wad with only slits in it?  Thanks!