OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Devotional Friday 4/29/2011 Where do we begin???

Started by BOFF, April 29, 2011, 12:27:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BOFF

I must admit, I am emotionally drained from the tornadoes which have hit my hometown Tuscaloosa, and I wasn't even in the direct path. How Blessed we are, as my family had no damage to our personal properties. However, the feeling I have for my community is a feeling of hurt, and compassion. Almost a feeling of guilt, for making it through unscathed.

In talking with a friend Jason, this morning, who works for the power company, he reports the damage is tremendous, with sub stations GONE!!  A sub station is not something which can be built in a few days, or weeks!!  It took the last crew a whole month to build a sub station at the local park. 

I had another friend from Michigan call to check on me later in the day, and we were discussing the conversation with my friend Jason. In the discussion, we reflected on all the damage, destruction, and the overwhelming feelings of loss. I made the question, but more so of a statement; " Where does one begin?"

My friend from Michigan without hesitation, and in a matter of fact, reported "With the foundation."
Immediately my mind thought of my foundation being built on the rock of Christ, and all the opportunities we, as Christians, have to share about the love of Christ in this disaster. I also thought about how I, as a Christian am supposed to cling to His promises, and focus on the road ahead, with a positive attitude.   

1 Corinthians 3:9-11 (New International Version 1984)

9 For we are God's fellow workers; you are God's field, God's building.
10 By the grace God has given me, I laid a foundation as an expert builder, and someone else is building on it. But each one should be careful how he builds. 11 For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ.

Father God, thank you for your protection seen, and unseen  during these storms for my family. Forgive me of my complaining, and grumbling over simple things. Help me to use the talents you have given me, to witness to others in this disaster, and help in building this city back. Speak through me, whether through actions, or by mouth, about your love and salvation freely offered, as the steadfast foundation, which overcomes all storms of life. Be with those who are hurting, and those who have yet to find help.

For it is in Jesus name I ask and claim these things, Amen.

God Bless,
David B. 

Duke0002

Thank you, David.  It's important to remember our foundation is Christ.

Roostem33

Great devotional David!! I was sure glad to see that you were allright and my prayers go out for the ones not so fortunate.

God Bless,
Jody
The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.(John 10:10)

mmims

Thanks David, tore me up as well. Spent a large part of my life in that town and love it like home!

Mike

Beretta686

Thanks David,

Seeing my neighbors house hit 200 yards from mine and then the tornado running 44 miles from there with the death and destruction, my emotions are still on a roller coaster.  The tornado in Elmore county took the tops out of the trees around my house, it was lowering out of the sky right there.

I know The hand of God protected my family.
Official "Hippie" had my hip replaced August 2005

turkey slayer

Great lesson! with very appropriate timing. :jesus-cross:
Glad to hear your family was unharmed :jesus-cross: :jesus-cross: