turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Poll: Would You Be Interested In This Call? **SOUND FILE ADDED**

Started by Spring Creek Calls, March 02, 2019, 02:55:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spring Creek Calls

Looking for your opinion on laminated wood for turkey calls. This call is made from Frogwood, which consists of many layers of birch laminate. It has mango end blocks and yellowheart lid and base. If you liked how it looked and liked how it sounds would you be interested? Just curious if there is any future for this type of product in the box call world. 

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

bbcoach

That is different Mike from the solid wood varieties we normally see.  Do you have a sound file on it?  Wonder what a lid made out of the frogwood would sound like on a solid hardwood base like walnut or hard maple?  We see the laminated strikers used on pot calls all the time.  Something different but I would be interested, especially if the birds liked the sound.

paboxcall

Agreed, Mike. I think the sound will drive interest. I'm very curious to hear how a hard birch laminate sounds in a short box!
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Gen.27:3

I do agree that the sound would make the ultimate decision for me. With that said, the beautiful solid wood is part of the draw of custom calls for me.
Gen 27:3  Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me,

Spring Creek Calls

Quote from: paboxcall on March 02, 2019, 03:17:18 PM
Agreed, Mike. I think the sound will drive interest. I'm very curious to hear how a hard birch laminate sounds in a short box!

I haven't done the jack knife tune on this box yet but should be able to do a sound file tomorrow.  I believe it's gonna sound much like the real stuff.

paboxcall

Does frogwood come dyed like dymondwood? If so, that would make for some really cool looking short boxes.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

doublespurs21

nice looking box.if the sound is turkey than you should not have trouble selling them'
frogwood is just a different name for laminated birch. yes , they come in different colors,,,,,,,,,,,

Spring Creek Calls

Quote from: paboxcall on March 02, 2019, 03:42:37 PM
Does frogwood come dyed like dymondwood? If so, that would make for some really cool looking short boxes.

Lots of different colors. Here's a link.

https://frogblanks.com/Frogwood/LargeGameCallBlanks

paboxcall

That wine wood and camo coloring is cool. Looking forward to hearing the end result, Mike. Good box you made, just like always! Why I carry your short box in my vest on every hunt.

Chris O

If you could stain it a darker color it would be more appealing to me. It should be all about the sound but if it doesn't catch your eye it's a hard sell for me anyway. I personally don't care for the looks of plain maple box calls on lids and bases as an example I know they sound great it just doesn't appeal to my eye

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

Visually I personally prefer something darker if I am on the ground but I spend a lot of time in blinds now so yes I may like/buy it. As others have said I would like to hear it.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

NCbowjunkie

Mike I ran one very similar just yesterday at the Dixie Deer classic. It really surprised me in the sound I could get out of it. The one I ran had like a charcoal colored box and a walnut top. Not sure what the ends where maybe walnut also. It peaked my interest

Quote from: Spring Creek Calls on March 02, 2019, 03:52:02 PM
Quote from: paboxcall on March 02, 2019, 03:42:37 PM

Lots of different colors. Here's a link.

https://frogblanks.com/Frogwood/LargeGameCallBlanks

I do like some of those colors! Would using the frog wood affect the price of the call either way? I have had some custom traditional bows built out of what was called Diamond wood and they were very good in both looks and performance. I think one color was called Mountain Camo.
Gen 27:3  Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me,

NCbowjunkie

The Camo was called green mountain Camo I have 2 longbows that I built from it

Quote from: NCbowjunkie on March 02, 2019, 09:36:55 PM
The Camo was called green mountain Camo I have 2 longbows that I built from it

Yes, that was it. Thanks!