OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

suggestions for a first custom call.

Started by Swamp, April 28, 2011, 10:54:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swamp

I'm looking into buying a custom call. This will be my first custom call and i was wondering what some of you who have custom calls would recommend. I really like some of the lights out calls and I'm looking at an aluminum call, or a copper call. I have never tried either surface, but have plenty of production slate and glass calls. What wood,striker, and sound board would y'all recommend. Thanks for any help

Snoody Bastid

Welcome aboard. Your gonna get a LOT of suggestions. But I'll tell you, I just picked up a Cane Creek Pro Aluminum and I'm using a Halloran Diamondwood striker with it and it sounds fantastic. Theres a new one on Fleabay now going for $37 shipped (I have no affiliation).

bowhunter84

i have  fatalattraxion copper,slate,and 2 glass calls and they all sound great!   there are a lot of great guys on here that make calls and im sure you will be happy with whoever you pick :icon_thumright:

duckaholic25

Lights Out are fantastic calls. I can tell you that the aluminum in yellowheart or mahogany are full of turkey. You will not be disappointed.

doepee

I have lots of calls for sale but no way to post pics. Sent you a pm, currently going through a layoff.. :(

Sanatorium

well there a  ton of wonderful call makers like myself on here, to choose from dont think youd be disapointed in mine or anyones and be happy with whatever call maker you went with! good luck with choosing and good hunting!

hillbilly68

Those copper pot calls from B&T calls sound so good I just ordered two for myself, can't wait to get them. Those along with my No Bull Custom box calls, a Gobbler won't be able to resist.

Scout24

Killed a 23 pder Wednesday first time out with the Halloran Crystal Mistress, it's really raspy with lots of rollover, the birds loved it that day. That said, I picked a Cane Creek Pro Custom slate and that sounds just as good with that deeper, fuller, rich slate sound at half the price of the CM. Out of 4 new customs this year these 2 were the standouts in the turkey woods.
Quote from: Snoody Bastid on April 28, 2011, 11:04:17 PM
Welcome aboard. Your gonna get a LOT of suggestions. But I'll tell you, I just picked up a Cane Creek Pro Aluminum and I'm using a Halloran Diamondwood striker with it and it sounds fantastic. Theres a new one on Fleabay now going for $37 shipped (I have no affiliation).

scoot12

A Lonnie Sneed Hot Hen Slate Call.  Mine is a wormy chestnut over red cedar and it sounds great.  The cost is only $20 and it sounds as good or better then a lot of custom calls.  Scoot

a-j calls

Quote from: scoot12 on April 30, 2011, 05:25:58 PM
A Lonnie Sneed Hot Hen Slate Call.  Mine is a wormy chestnut over red cedar and it sounds great.  The cost is only $20 and it sounds as good or better then a lot of custom calls.  Scoot

wow, scott, that's a good deal, on a great call..

doepee

X2 on the hot hen slate, very realistic in my opinion

a-j calls

Quote from: doepee on April 30, 2011, 05:48:09 PM

X2 on the hot hen slate, very realistic in my opinion

I need to get one of those..