turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Box call chalk

Started by Spitten and drummen, March 01, 2019, 10:03:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spitten and drummen

I use rain chalk on my box calls. Just was wondering does the diffrent colored chalks have any affect on changing the calls sound? White , blue and brown. I know about using the correct chalk but lets say you go from blue to brown. Would that make any change such as adding a little rasp or clearing up the call. I think not but was curious to others thoughts.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

HookedonHooks

Tim Murdoc explains a little about chalk in his live video he uploaded to Facebook last week. I need to go watch last nights video still, but last weeks video was awesome.

Tim just uses the red and white chalks to my knowledge, and said the red is what gave a little more rasp.

I don't care how proficient you are running a box call, you NEED to go check out his videos. Me being newer to boxes obtained a wealth of knowledge just in his hour video. It's well worth the time to sit down and watch it.

coyote1

I don't notice a big change in pitch between different colored chalk. I do notice playability, on some boxes the rain chalk seems to almost grip too much. Nothing major but the red or blue doesn't grip so much.

Turkeyman62

I use the orange/reddish chalk. It's a little more gritty. Works great for me.
A Gobbler Yelp Spring Or Fall Is A Long Conversation..

SwampChickenSC

That's something that I've never thought about, I primarily use white chalk but may test out some blue this weekend to see if I notice a difference. 
"some men are mere hunters, others are turkey hunters"-Archibald Rutledge

Spring Creek Calls

I use the brick red "Walbuck" chalk that's now manufactured by Markal. It only comes in a 4 gross box so I  package and sell some to lower the cost.

https://markal.com/products/walbuck-turkey-call-chalk
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Turkeyman62

Forgot to mention the old Penn's Woods chalk. It was brown and came in a plastic tube. Real good stuff. Still have 2 tubes of it.

Greg Massey

I use the red brick chalk and white Dixion Waltham ... sometimes we mix little white with the red .. it all depends what your looking for on the front end and back of the call.. Do use rain chalk sometimes also... Tim Lisa Murdock has had 2 live show's one last week and yesterday .. he call tell you more about running short boxes backwards and how to get 8 birds from a short box .. It's worth your time to go to his Facebook and see his last 2 live show's ...do not mess with the blue , brown etc ....

Gen.27:3

I have never thought about the difference that various colors of chalk might make on the sound of a call. This is an interesting thought.
Gen 27:3  Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me,

Turkeyman62

This is  the chalk I was referring too.

vt35mag

White is the smoothest, next is blue, then red.
I will try the different colors on a call to see what I like best on it. Some calls I don't use any chalk at all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

nyhunter

I use what ever the call maker sends with the call. I figure thats what they tuned the call with so I leave it alone

paboxcall

My long and mini boxes I carry require little to no chalk, so I don't use it much but when I do its Rainchalk.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

bear hunter

Whats the difference between rain and railroad chalk?

Greg Massey

Quote from: bear hunter on March 02, 2019, 09:10:21 PM
Whats the difference between rain and railroad chalk?
Look up rain chalk on line and it will explain it all to you...