OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

North MS

Started by nmsshooter, March 01, 2019, 07:27:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nmsshooter

Anybody heard or seen any action?

deerhunt1988

Have saw ~8 different groups of hens the past week, only one had a gobbler in tow. Was keeping tabs on a bachelor group of toms and jakes and they just started to bust up.

nmsshooter

Saw a group of 27 yesterday. To bad they were on land I couldn't hunt.
They were a long ways off road but know for sure there was 3 mature birds. One was strutting and the other two were bigger birds but just feeding

Big Timber

I Heard 2 in North Mississippi this morning.

nmsshooter

You have a youth with you to get it?

Jrkimbrough

Fri March 15th - heard one gobble on the roost right before dark

Sat March 16th - heard 10 gobbles on the roost then heard another 40-50 on the ground between 7 different gobblers.  Watched a group of 50+ birds with 7 strutters.  The gobblers are definitely establishing a pecking order and were running each other around the field for an hour or more.  Hopefully over the next week the groups will really start to bust up.

Sun March 17th - quiet as a mouse, nothing!  I did cross paths with 3 gobblers early morning but they never gobbled on the ground and didn't respond to any calling

Missed mallards

March 17- saw 3 gobblers no desire/interest in calling. Heard 1, 1 time on roost.
March 18- nothing. Saw lone Tom and again couldn't do anything with him. He got on private and that was it. Went back where I saw 3 prior day and nothing. No sign or anything. Still wondering about that, was it by chance?
March 19 - nothing gobbling. About froze to death. Heater quit at camp. Tooth infection made it easy to throw in towel and get back to fam. Drove and glassed miles upon miles and Didnt see/hear anything. Saw strutter in hwy on way home, hated being a moral and ethically person.

Will try again this weekend/next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nmsshooter

3-18
Heard one gobble on roost a few times but nothing on the ground. He did make a fatal mistake and silently came in to attack my Jake decoy. I just couldn't watch him take advantage of my poor decoy. 

I was out the 15,16, and 18th. It was the only bird to say a word

RailRoader

Not much going on that I have heard. I'd heard some gobbling before the season started. But nothing since.

RailRoader

Gobbling is picking up around here. Heard some around 9 o'clock this morning.

deerhunt1988

Lot of birds been eating dirt the past couple days. Birds finally starting to break up a little. Roost gobbling still not too great in a lot of areas, but mid-morn gobbling is definitely picking up. This is a general synopsis of reports from my wide array of turkey associates.

Gobblerslobber

Had one gobble several times this morning roosted somewhere I wasn't expecting. Gobbled a half dozen times in the tree then nothing when they hit the ground. I got excited when I got a hen to come in talking right after fly down. Thought she might have ole tight lip behind her but it was just a group of hens. Had to leave for work after that and reallyyyyyyyyy wanted to stay!

nmsshooter

Had two gobble midday but wouldn't come to call. They answered a lot but was hened up and wouldn't leave them. Had some gobble late evening in fields also.