OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Flush mount vs extended chokes  (Read 4754 times)

Offline scoffman1

Re: Flush mount vs extended chokes
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2019, 03:33:30 PM »
Here is a good article re: extended choke tubes & their uses /advantages.

https://www.chuckhawks.com/extended_chokes_patterns.htm
Great article, I am using a NEF that I had cut to 20 in and threaded for Win Chokes. I wanted to use it for run and gun and I back up or a spare for someone. I have some flush fit Carlson 585 choke and going to acquire a 575 as well merely because they are a 1/3 of the price of extended. I am going to use the same LB number 6s as I use in my 870, or may splurge on some cheaper ammo for this one. I would love to have a 40 yd gun here but I feel I may have a good 30 to 35 yd gun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Offline DBell

Flush mount vs extended chokes
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2019, 04:05:54 PM »
Here is a good article re: extended choke tubes & their uses /advantages.

https://www.chuckhawks.com/extended_chokes_patterns.htm
Great article, I am using a NEF that I had cut to 20 in and threaded for Win Chokes. I wanted to use it for run and gun and I back up or a spare for someone. I have some flush fit Carlson 585 choke and going to acquire a 575 as well merely because they are a 1/3 of the price of extended. I am going to use the same LB number 6s as I use in my 870, or may splurge on some cheaper ammo for this one. I would love to have a 40 yd gun here but I feel I may have a good 30 to 35 yd gun.

I don’t see why you can’t get a good 40 yard killing pattern with the LB#6 and your new setup. I’m averaging 110-130/10” circle at 40 yards with the 870 21” bbl 20 gauge. This is with a .565 trulock.
If you want to try a cheaper round, seriously consider the federal grand slams #5. They are $11 for a box of 10 and I get nice 35 yard patterns (80-100 in 10”) with the same setup mentioned above. I stocked up on them that’s how well they shoot. I’m ok with a 35 yard gun. I was in a similar situation as you. I bought a second 870 20 ga to get my dad out in the woods/backup gun and I ended up setting it up to shoot the feds and its much more forgiving then the LB but will thump out to 35 without a problem. Honestly it will most likely drop any bird at 37-38 yards based on the testing I’ve done. I like them enough that I will be using this setup for myself when I hunt solo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 05:24:28 PM by DBell »

Offline Clydetaylor1

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2019, 06:47:14 PM »
I have never tried a flush choke, all I ever shot was extended chokes.

Offline scoffman1

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2019, 01:04:25 PM »
Well from what I read that not a bunch of difference in performance. Granted the extra 2 inches the extended choke gains does improve somewhat.
Mainly appealing to the eye and a protection to end of barrel for damage prevention not due to shooting 

When I can get a Carlson turkey 575 for flush mount at 17 bucks or it's same in extended for 30 to 40 bucks. Why not take the chance.

Offline scoffman1

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2019, 04:35:48 PM »
So I have a little insight.

With TSS, I haven’t noticed a dramatic difference in flush versus extended unless you want a super hot core.

With lead and Hevi, the longer extended chokes pattern much better for me. This is across numerous 12’s and 20’s. The one exception being a double barrel CZ 20 and Carlson’s flush tubes patterned so well with all 3 shot types I never looked for extended tubes.
Do you feel the extended chokes patterning better was due to about 2 inches more tube for the shot to ride?  Why I am also thinking the flush mount vs extended was due to the LB rounds. They have a resin on them and according to Carlson and Winchester is like a flying golf ball up to 17 yds