OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Flush mount vs extended chokes

Started by scoffman1, February 28, 2019, 07:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scoffman1

What are your thoughts on flush mount vs extended tubes. Keeping all things the same with constriction sizes. Are their any performance differences or is it just an aesthetics preference?
Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

scoffman1

Wow 35 looks and no insight...

BrowningGuy88

So I have a little insight.

With TSS, I haven't noticed a dramatic difference in flush versus extended unless you want a super hot core.

With lead and Hevi, the longer extended chokes pattern much better for me. This is across numerous 12's and 20's. The one exception being a double barrel CZ 20 and Carlson's flush tubes patterned so well with all 3 shot types I never looked for extended tubes.

fmf

Keeping constriction size the same?  I don't know, I've never shot a flush mount choke with the same constriction as any extended turkey choke.  I think there is probably a performance difference because aren't most extended chokes designed with a more gradual constriction and other features to slow the wad down more?  I don't think it is just aesthetics.

scoffman1

Thanks guys this is what I was looking for.

captpete

As far as performance I don't have any idea. The gun smith that drilled and tapped my wife's Mossberg SA-20 told me that if she is going to be shooting a choke with a really tight constriction it would be better to use an extended tube. The tightest part of the choke would be on the outside of the barrel....less chance of barrel damage that way.

scoffman1

Quote from: captpete on March 02, 2019, 12:40:27 PM
As far as performance I don't have any idea. The gun smith that drilled and tapped my wife's Mossberg SA-20 told me that if she is going to be shooting a choke with a really tight constriction it would be better to use an extended tube. The tightest part of the choke would be on the outside of the barrel....less chance of barrel damage that way.
Thank you. I was curious about that too.  Makes great sense too.

Happy

An extra full or super full turkey choke needs a little more length to get the shot squeezed down and lined out.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

scoffman1

Let me also clarify I will be using LB number 6s as well

DBell

Quote from: scoffman1 on March 10, 2019, 08:38:51 PM

12 or 20?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scoffman1

Quote from: DBell on March 10, 2019, 08:48:34 PM
Quote from: scoffman1 on March 10, 2019, 08:38:51 PM

12 or 20?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ahfox16

I've been shooting a lotta turkey guns for a lotta years and have for the most part found extended chokes to throw much tighter patterns.  I somewhat equate it to the old Fox Super 12 gauge sxs that were made in the 1920's and 30's.  Those guns had chokes that were 4 to 5" long slowly constrict the shot as it exited the barrel.  I think the Longer choke tubes have the same affect.

scoffman1

Quote from: ahfox16 on March 11, 2019, 09:33:43 AM
I've been shooting a lotta turkey guns for a lotta years and have for the most part found extended chokes to throw much tighter patterns.  I somewhat equate it to the old Fox Super 12 gauge sxs that were made in the 1920's and 30's.  Those guns had chokes that were 4 to 5" long slowly constrict the shot as it exited the barrel.  I think the Longer choke tubes have the same affect.
Thank you sir!  Makes great sense

Bill from NJ

scoffman1,

Thanks for posting the question.

Ephesians Chapter 6:12

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

tree-rat sniper

Here is a good article re: extended choke tubes & their uses /advantages.

https://www.chuckhawks.com/extended_chokes_patterns.htm
NRA Life Member/Pistol Instructor, NWTF, SCI (former DU, VHA & HHI).  Non Gratum Anus Rodentum!