turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Sumtoy suggestions

Started by tracker#1, February 28, 2019, 12:33:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tracker#1

So I have the bug... working on a 870 build and started rolling my own shells from help from all you folks and Hal. I will be using Hal's Big XL 20 and 2-3/4 1-7/16 load using # 8s TSS (NY). I have 2 barrels, 1 26" and 1 21". I sent the 26" barrel to Rob Roberts (2 days before shop fire) to have forcing cone work done. I purchased his .570 choke. I want to order a Sumtoy choke. My choices are .555, .562, .570. I want to set up both barrels and see what shoots the best. I want to use the 26" when I'm hunting big open farm fields and short barrel for the deep hard woods. Yes, I know, every gun shoots different. Just need some feedback and suggestions on Sumtoy size, thinking .562 already have RR .570. Can't shoot yet, weather still bad, gun is at gunsmith being "dipped". Thanks...have a great and safe season.

davisd9

I would talk to William but would choose between the 562 and 570 depending on how I want my pattern to look. Personally I would probably do 570 to have a more open, even pattern.

Shorter barrels seem to like tighter chokes and opposite for longer barrels. With handloads your choke will no be a huge deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

BrowningGuy88

Quote from: tracker#1 on February 28, 2019, 12:33:16 PM
So I have the bug... working on a 870 build and started rolling my own shells from help from all you folks and Hal. I will be using Hal's Big XL 20 and 2-3/4 1-7/16 load using # 8s TSS (NY). I have 2 barrels, 1 26" and 1 21". I sent the 26" barrel to Rob Roberts (2 days before shop fire) to have forcing cone work done. I purchased his .570 choke. I want to order a Sumtoy choke. My choices are .555, .562, .570. I want to set up both barrels and see what shoots the best. I want to use the 26" when I'm hunting big open farm fields and short barrel for the deep hard woods. Yes, I know, every gun shoots different. Just need some feedback and suggestions on Sumtoy size, thinking .562 already have RR .570. Can't shoot yet, weather still bad, gun is at gunsmith being "dipped". Thanks...have a great and safe season.

I have the 562-5 in a 21" 870 and shoot 1-7/6 and 1-5/8 ounce loads from it and it shoots nice even patterns.