OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Roll Crimp question

Started by Candyman, February 27, 2019, 08:37:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Candyman

For those that use a roll crimp, do you prefer a hand turned crimper  or a drill press?  Is there a benefit of one over the other?

sasquatch1

Had both, drill press no doubt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fullfan

Have never used a hand turned crimper I use a drill press. I do believe that heat produced by the friction between the hull and the roll crimper is a major contributor to a good crimp.   But I have seen some youtube videos  of hand turned crimpers, and they look well.
Don't gobble at me...

Candyman

Thanks for the replies and pm's.

jdub2041

Drill press! Its Important set the press speed for the roll crimper.

Terry

Quote from: jdub2041 on February 27, 2019, 08:26:18 PM
Drill press! Its Important set the press speed for the roll crimper.
How do you do that?

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

jdub2041

Press runs off a belt and mine has 3 setting, If i remember correctly the BPI runs better on the slowest where as some of the other roll crimpers like more speed. Ill have to do some digging in my notes to know for sure though

haystaddle

Top compartment on your drill press contains your belt which dictates speed.  Open that up and you should see a chart on belt settings for different speeds. You'llwant It at the lowest speed for roll crimping. Make sure you unplug it before you change the belt settings. They usually are at the highest speed out of the box.

mahifishn

With a drill press you'll want to set the speed to the lowest setting for BPI crimpers, but if you're using the GAEP tool you'll want to be somewhere around 1,000rpm. I want to say BPI recommends 500-600rpm, but i cant remember. Also, i've found using a light coat of gun oil or wd40 on the outside of the hull before crimping helps.

Dtrkyman

I use a hand held drill, works quite well, tried a friends drill press and his was too fast, total meltdown on the crimps, look like trash but think they shot fine!