turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mossberg 535 - Several questions

Started by twyatt, February 26, 2019, 05:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twyatt

Just got a brand new, never fired Mossberg 535 from my father.  He bought it several years ago to be a backup duck gun and never used it.  He did however have someone put a vinyl camo wrap on it.   I just lightly used a hair dryer and was able to pretty easily remove the wrap - however there is a little residual adhesive on the barre.   What would be a safe way to get the remainder of the adhesive off of the barrel safely, without doing any damage to it?

Secondly, I want to set this up as a dedicated turkey gun.  I know nothing about this gun though.  Is it a good candidate for a dedicated turkey gun to begin with?

If so, what would be a good choke to go with for TSS #9's?  Or is there a better option?

Lastly, I want to mount a red dot on it.  What would be a nice, solid red dot to go with?  Since it's already drilled/tapped on top, do I need a mount as well?

Thanks and I apologize for so many questions in one post.   Any help would be appreciated

twyatt

Quick update - adhesive came right off with some gun cleaner.   

Happy

The 535 will do fine as a turkey gun. I am haven't messed with tss so someone else will have to chime in on that one. I do believe the brand of tss will matter as the federals are showing a tendency to like a tighter choke than the apex rounds.Vortex venom, and Burris fastfires are what most of the cool kids are running as far as dots go. Me I just run a cheap old truglo.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

wvmntnhick

Fine gun. As for optics, your choice. I've only used the cheaper units and have had no issues. Personally, I prefer an actual scope. No batteries to worry about dying mid hunt. Nothing to worry about turning on. Simple things like that. As for mounts, yes, you'll need one. Your LGS should have one. Chokes? You're gonna have to experiment some. Check out the mossberg pattern threads. That'll give you some insight. Good luck and congrats on the new rig man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skimerhorn

Just a fyi that gun kicks like a mule. I have one. Mine shoots federal tss# awesome out of a Indian creek .665. Didnt do well out of the factory Turkey choke. I had a tru glo red dot, but just upgraded to a vortex venom.

chatterbox

I agree with Skinner, those guns kick something wicked.
However, when I did shoot it, it shot best with a Primos old style jellyhead .660 with hevi-13 3-2-6's.
I do know chokes in the .660's shoot the best, but have no idea with TSS #9

wvmntnhick

Quote from: skimerhorn on February 28, 2019, 08:19:54 PM
Just a fyi that gun kicks like a mule. I have one. Mine shoots federal tss# awesome out of a Indian creek .665. Didnt do well out of the factory Turkey choke. I had a tru glo red dot, but just upgraded to a vortex venom.
I believe that's kinda the mossberg moniker isn't it? Almost certain those guns were designed by dentists. Shoot it once or twice then make a dental appointment to get your fillings replaced.

twyatt

Thanks for the replies.  I picked up a Carlson's .660 to try.   NOT looking forward to the kick though, so this may become a backup gun because I broke down and got a 20ga 870 today.

Chordeiles

The 535 is my main turkey gun. The Carlson's .660 is what I'm using this year with Fed TSS. I have a Bushnell TRS-25 mounted on mine, with a rail I ordered from Amazon(can't remember the brand).

The kick isn't too bad with 3" shells, IMO. I refuse to shoot 3-1/2" in it anymore. :z-dizzy:

Happy

Funny thing. My wife shoots my 835 with 3.5 shells with no problem. That should make you all feel manly :). In all seriousness put a cheek pad on it. Really lessens felt recoil.

DBell

Quote from: twyatt on February 28, 2019, 10:14:25 PM
Thanks for the replies.  I picked up a Carlson's .660 to try.   NOT looking forward to the kick though, so this may become a backup gun because I broke down and got a 20ga 870 today.
You did the right thing there. Getting the 20 ga that is.

Chordeiles

Big difference in weight between a 535 and 835. ;D That's one reason I like it for hauling around in the mountains. Mine is the 22" barreled version.
There's no need for 3-1/2"s anyway, since Fed made TSS readily available.

And yes, sometimes I can be a wuss. :toothy9:

Happy

Quote from: Chordeiles on March 02, 2019, 06:10:44 AM
Big difference in weight between a 535 and 835. ;D That's one reason I like it for hauling around in the mountains. Mine is the 22" barreled version.
There's no need for 3-1/2"s anyway, since Fed made TSS readily available.

And yes, sometimes I can be a wuss. :toothy9:
It's all good. I just like to joke around. Gear is a very personal choice. I am not about to tell someone what they like. And by the way my wife gave birth to our 8lb 15 oz boy at our home with just me there. So she is probably tougher than me as well.

rakkin6

I have the 535 and first thing I can say is hold on tight it kicks pretty good. I shot three 3 1/2" shells and said nevermind and went to a 3". But besides that it is a good shooting gun. I get great patterns with mine using an Indian Creek choke and #5 Long beard. I have a Burris Fast Fire 3 on mine and have had no issues holding it's zero.
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

yelpy

Sold mine because the recoil was worse than any other 12 I've shot.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk