turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Ventilation/Dust Mask

Started by Footballer, February 25, 2019, 08:59:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Footballer

My ventilation system consists of me opening my garage door and rolling my lathe as close to outside as I can.

Should I be fine if I use a good dust mask? Who makes a good one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M,Yingling

iam same way garage door up and a fan or 2 blowing across the lathe ,,i use a full face shield well turning it helps alot keeping dust out face ,, never had much luck with dust masks not fogging the shield ,,
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

Footballer

Quote from: M,Yingling on February 25, 2019, 03:54:39 PM
iam same way garage door up and a fan or 2 blowing across the lathe ,,i use a full face shield well turning it helps alot keeping dust out face ,, never had much luck with dust masks not fogging the shield ,,

Same here. I use a shield and if I put any mask on it gets fogged up.

doublespurs21

I would think a good respirator will be better than a dust mask.  I aslo think your lungs will thank you for doing that, a lot of those different kind of trees, the dust is going to be very bad for you............... i'm a cabinetmaker for 30 years, been breathing a lot of crap over that time, protect yourself..

ChainReactionGC

I use a 3M full face respirator. Keeps my face/head protected from flying projectiles (usually black palm....lol) and the filters are replaceable and inexpensive.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

pauld

Gobbler2577

Mark you need a respirator.  You can buy something adequate a lowes or somewhere similar for 30 bucks or so.  Just be sure to change the cartridges at least every month.  I have always hated wearing one but when you have a really bad sinus infection one time you will change your mind.  I have ordered a forced air full face deal with a hepa filter and am really looking forward to getting it.  You are building fantastic calls so do everything to stay healthy in order to enjoy yourself.

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using Tapatalk

Dark Cloud

Take it from someone who knows,I've abused my lungs since I was twenty years old,from coal dust,smoking,to metal and grinding dust from making knives,and wood dust from turkey calls,now I'm on oxygen twenty four hours a day,doing rehab trying to get off.What ever you do at least get a good 3M mask,a respirator would be better,you just got one set of lungs.

ccleroy

Spend the money and get a dust collector, you won't regret it.....it's the most important tool in my shop.

Footballer

Thanks guys. I'm not sure how a dust collector would work with my set up. I sort of have a mobile shop right now. I have benches for my drill press, band saw, etc, but my late and all the tools are on wheels and I roll it in front of an open garage door.

I think I'll be going with a full ventilator mask. This seems to be the best for my current set up.

Nolehoe

Quote from: ChainReactionGC on February 25, 2019, 10:35:09 PM
I use a 3M full face respirator. Keeps my face/head protected from flying projectiles (usually black palm....lol) and the filters are replaceable and inexpensive.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
Ding ding ding. This is what i would like to have. Currently use a 3m respirator in conjunction with face shield. Read somewhere that turning wood with no protection is worse than smoking. 3M Medium Half Facepiece Reusable Respirator 7502/37082(AAD), Respiratory Protection, Medium https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B008MCUT86/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_WsOECbRGW4TVS
Is the one i have

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

GMM365

I use a RZ Mask. They are light wait and cool. They stop .1 microns. My favorite is the M2 with the F3 filter. You can see them at rzmask.com They Dias good a job as my respirator but allow me to properly wear my face shield over it unlike my respirator.