OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Longbeard XR - heavier load versus faster velocity?  (Read 5045 times)

Offline MikeStaten

• The Boss Gobbler
Longbeard XR - heavier load versus faster velocity?
« on: February 24, 2019, 07:31:01 AM »
In the 3" they offer 1 3/4 oz load at 1200 fps or 1 7/8 at 1050 and 3.5" 2 oz at 1200 or 2 1/8 at 1050.

For those that have done a lot of testing, do you prefer the heavier or faster load?

Will be shooting from an 870 23" barrel with Carlson's Longbeard .660 choke

Offline Prohunter3509

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Longbeard XR - heavier load versus faster velocity?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2019, 08:00:40 AM »
My best came with the heavier slower loads a pretty good bit

Offline dms2511

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2019, 09:29:22 AM »
Both loads are great, really comes down to what patterns best with your setup. The “magnum
“ 1050 FPS loads put more pellets in the 10” circle for me.

Offline drakehammer

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2019, 10:51:57 AM »
Let the patterns tell you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline coyote1

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2019, 01:44:27 PM »
I think it depends on your range you plan on shooting. Pellet count is always beneficial, but if you plan on shooting 60+ yard you may need the velocity to ensure you get the penetration you need to make an ethical shot.

If you shoot 60+ yards I hope you are deer hunting with a scoped rifle. Turkey hunting should be about how close you can get them.

X2 it depends on what your gun likes. The 1/78 load put a few more in the ten.Both loads pattern just fine at 40 yards for me, I opted for the extra velocity.

Offline Prohunter3509

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 01:54:21 PM »
Amen. X2

Offline Deputy 14

• Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2019, 02:47:59 PM »
I think it depends on your range you plan on shooting. Pellet count is always beneficial, but if you plan on shooting 60+ yard you may need the velocity to ensure you get the penetration you need to make an ethical shot.

Yea if you’re doing this you just as well grab a varmint rifle and call it killing instead of turkey hunting. At least you wouldn’t be wounding them with a shotgun.

Offline wvnut3

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2019, 03:48:33 PM »

If you shoot 60+ yards I hope you are deer hunting with a scoped rifle. Turkey hunting should be about how close you can get them.

X2 it depends on what your gun likes. The 1/78 load put a few more in the ten.Both loads pattern just fine at 40 yards for me, I opted for the extra velocity.
Amen

Offline deerpoo22

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2019, 04:16:45 PM »
I won't tell anyone what to do in their neck of the woods, you do you, but if you're the kind of person who wants to shoot that far at least use TSS. 50+ yard shots with lead is unacceptable no matter what the pattern says

Offline MikeStaten

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2019, 04:30:28 PM »
Getting a little off topic here.  I'm not looking to shoot past 40, just wanted to know if people were getting better patterns with the magnum loads.  Going to try 2 1/8 oz of size 5 and 2 oz of 6 and see how they do. 

Offline deerpoo22

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2019, 04:37:24 PM »
IMO if used LBs id want the extra velocity to get every ounce of energy I could 

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2019, 05:11:16 PM »
I opted for the 2 oz load in 3.5" reason being I had plenty of pellets at 40 yards and I wanted the extra energy.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2019, 05:31:07 PM »
I’m no longbeards expert per se but for about a year I dabbled w longbeards and chokes. I did succeed w em too.
Now my findings were in a 12 ga, 3” gun. The heavier loads were better in a .675 briley choke, the HV seemed to like .665 Indian Creek. I don’t think either was a giant change in killing pattern.
I used the load 1/2 season and decided I didn’t like how tight they were but I did test them a bit first.
My personal thoughts are why would you wanna throw less lead at faster speed anyway so I shot the heavier loads.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2019, 06:34:36 PM »
Thank you for asking this, I was wondering the same thing.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline KentuckyLB

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2019, 08:25:43 AM »
I won't tell anyone what to do in their neck of the woods, you do you, but if you're the kind of person who wants to shoot that far at least use TSS. 50+ yard shots with lead is unacceptable no matter what the pattern says

50 Plus yards for lead is not uncommon and kills just as dead as any... been there done that for years and years.