OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Beginner Trumpet  (Read 3703 times)

Offline Gog1015

• The Boss Gobbler
Beginner Trumpet
« on: February 23, 2019, 08:27:45 PM »
Thinking about trying a trumpet, I have never tried one. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Offline outdoors

• Limbhanger
  • 2015 forum supporter. “Outta’ the Woods”
Re: Beginner Trumpet
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 08:39:42 PM »
Takes a lot of practice 
Buy the best trumpet you can AFORD , so if it doesn't work out you will get your money back
 Practice , practice

This may sound strange , when you play it you suck air don't blow
Along time ago there was a topic about this. , some one bought one and couldn't make it sound
At all  he was blowing not sucking... 
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Offline Vaughnrp2

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2019, 09:00:03 AM »
Brian mero.

Offline Vaughnrp2

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2019, 09:48:07 AM »
There are some cane yelpers for sale right now in the classifieds. From what hear lee makes a fine call. This would save you some money and at the sametime get you a fine yelper to learn on.

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2019, 10:09:44 AM »
There are some cane yelpers for sale right now in the classifieds. From what hear lee makes a fine call. This would save you some money and at the sametime get you a fine yelper to learn on.

You heard right, Lee's Cane yelpers run smooth and easy and that's what you want no matter if beginner or experienced. All suction yelpers, Trumpet, cane or Wingbone all require the same basics. The thing that makes a great sounding, easy to run call is the internals, not the price.

Daryal Gosey (NCbowjunkie) also makes an inexpensive trumpet that runs easy.

Online paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 11:21:29 AM »
All suction yelpers, Trumpet, cane or Wingbone all require the same basics. The thing that makes a great sounding, easy to run call is the internals, not the price.

:agreed:
Anyone, trying hard enough, can produce what resembles a yelp from a coffee stirrer. However none of us would argue it was a quality yelp.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Online mspaci

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2019, 11:23:05 AM »
Mero is a great trumpet, and a great price. Very fast to get one too. I have several. Mike

Online Boykin Hollow

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2019, 01:23:48 PM »
In the classifieds, Goblr77 has a Misfire Trumpet for $65.00. Hard to get started any cheaper and Lee makes a fine trumpet.  Might want to check it out.

Offline Gog1015

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2019, 03:17:58 PM »
Thanks for all of the great info guys!

Offline model94

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2019, 10:47:23 PM »
Brian Mero. This was the 1st Trumpet I purchased and  I am very happy with it.  He is an awesome guy as well and his prices are excellent!

Offline savduck

• Limbhanger
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2019, 12:18:53 AM »
2nd Brian Mero
Georgia Boy

Offline willy9889

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2019, 05:00:01 PM »
 Would recommend a Permar model 45 in Delrin. My first trumpet and it plays pretty darn easy.
Ralph is a true Gentleman as well!! Had a good visit with him every time we speak!

Willy

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2019, 06:00:49 PM »
Most of these guys know more than I do but I want to share where I feel I made a mistake, I tried to learn to many kinds to fast, trumpets and yelpers and I think it has hurt my learning. Get one, stick with it and when you feel you are decent then get another one. I am trying to learn on 4 different "Wind instruments" as I like to call them 1 Trumpet, 2 yelpers and a wingbone. I am doing better with the yelpers by far. Oh and it is not the fault of the makers, it is the fault of the knucklehead trying to play them.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline NCbowjunkie

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2019, 07:53:24 PM »
All suction yelpers, Trumpet, cane or Wingbone all require the same basics. The thing that makes a great sounding, easy to run call is the internals, not the price.

:agreed:
Anyone, trying hard enough, can produce what resembles a yelp from a coffee stirrer. However none of us would argue it was a quality yelp.

The way I see it is the most expensive call may not be the call that the bird likes. It’s up to who is running the call  just because I build a trumpet for $40 don’t mean it won’t run with the best for $200
It’s what the birds want to hear that makes a quality call

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2019, 09:26:45 PM »
Most of these guys know more than I do but I want to share where I feel I made a mistake, I tried to learn to many kinds to fast, trumpets and yelpers and I think it has hurt my learning. Get one, stick with it and when you feel you are decent then get another one. I am trying to learn on 4 different "Wind instruments" as I like to call them 1 Trumpet, 2 yelpers and a wingbone. I am doing better with the yelpers by far. Oh and it is not the fault of the makers, it is the fault of the knucklehead trying to play them.

Pick the one you feel you play the best and stick with it. Once you have it down then go to the others. Mechanics will help you play from one to the next

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer