OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Building a call specifically for soft talk  (Read 3550 times)

Offline ZachH28

Building a call specifically for soft talk
« on: February 23, 2019, 03:07:37 PM »
Hey y'all, I am trying to make a call to run in contests for my tree call and purr. I can get both of these sounds out of my regular all around call, but I am looking for something that I can be more consistent with when I am doing the soft stuff. Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated. I have a feather ridge pro comp press and on average I stretch between 160 and 200 for my calls that I do my cutting and yelping on.

Thanks again,

Zach Hayes

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Building a call specifically for soft talk
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 03:22:54 PM »
The Grizz Friction Wood Call is made for the soft talk I would say. He is here and also can be found on Facebook here. https://www.facebook.com/grizzfrictionwoodcalls/ Sorry I just reread this and realized you are wanting to make a mouth call.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline compton30

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2019, 03:35:48 PM »
Hey y'all, I am trying to make a call to run in contests for my tree call and purr. I can get both of these sounds out of my regular all around call, but I am looking for something that I can be more consistent with when I am doing the soft stuff. Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated. I have a feather ridge pro comp press and on average I stretch between 160 and 200 for my calls that I do my cutting and yelping on.

Thanks again,

Zach Hayes
If you havent tried using a two reeded call I'd start there. My thinking being that it takes less air pressure to fire the call, leading to softer sounds.

I don't use your type of press, so I cant comment on how tightly you're stretching, but a lighter stretch could also possibly help as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline tha bugman

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 03:13:01 PM »
For soft calls I use a Houndstooth ghost cut. 

Offline Jrkimbrough

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2019, 04:15:20 PM »
I really like my Houndstooth Deep Beak for soft calls and purring.  May want to look into it?

Offline strut-n-rut

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2019, 02:29:29 PM »
im also new to making calls, but I recently started building 2 reed batwings with .150 stretch and they are soundind pretty good especially soft calls

Offline Gooserbat

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Achondroplasiaphobia is real.
    • Gooserbat Game Calls
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2019, 11:10:10 PM »
Two reed with your choice of cut.  Everyone has their preferred cut. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.