OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

New guy with calling question..

Started by Kz900Jim, February 22, 2019, 09:37:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kz900Jim

Hello all... New guy here, not new to hunting, but new to turkey hunting.
I've picked up a box call and have been listening to the local birds and videos and practicing.
My question is with all the different sounds the toms and the hens make, is there a particular order that they use those sounds, do they switch from one to another one in a specific order? Or is it based on what's going on in that moment?

Thank you in advance for any information you can provide.

Cheers!

GobbleNut

By far, the most common turkey communication is yelping.  That can be done in a variety of volumes, lengths, and intensities depending on the circumstances.  There are other sounds turkeys make, but until you understand their application in turkey calling, it is usually best to just keep to yelping.  The vast majority of turkeys that are called in come to callers doing nothing more than yelping to them.

That's not to say that there are not circumstances and situations that knowing other turkey vocalizations, and when to use them, are important.  Until you have enough experience and calling ability, however, I would suggest sticking to basic yelping.  It is the universal turkey language.

Sir-diealot

Welcome to the site and to turkey hunting. I would add try to get their cadence or speed in witch they call down as best you can, you don't want to sound natural.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Kz900Jim

Thanks for the input guys, I don't want to overthink it and try and do too much and not sound natural.
I'll pay attention more to their cadence and see if I can duplicate it as best I can.

GobbleNut

Quote from: Sir-diealot on February 22, 2019, 10:25:52 PM
Welcome to the site and to turkey hunting. I would add try to get their cadence or speed in witch they call down as best you can, you don't want to sound natural.

Realizing that this statement is a typo,...just want to clarify that you DO want to sound natural.   ;D

Sir-diealot

Quote from: GobbleNut on February 22, 2019, 10:39:41 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on February 22, 2019, 10:25:52 PM

Realizing that this statement is a typo,...just want to clarify that you DO want to sound natural.   ;D
LOL yes you do, I left out the "un" in unnatural. Thanks for catching that.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

silvestris

Just understand that turkeys have a language and never vocalize without a reason and other turkeys understand what is being said.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

MK M GOBL

When I started I always wanted to know how I sounded, if you have a video camera (cell phone might work???) and set it out 30 yards - 50 yards from you in the timber, field or whatever your hunting conditions are like and record your calling. run your series and critique yourself from there.

*Learn the basics Yelp, Purr and Cluck and can build everything else from there.

Calling rhythm is the important part of this and the inflection of what you are "saying" will come with practice.

MK M GOBL

EZ

Listen to turkeys and you will eventually be able to tell their mood from their calling...volume, excitement, intensity. At first, you WILL have to think things through, but hopefully, with experience you will just "talk" to them without a thought about it.

Ctrize

Yes it does matter whats going on at that moment.A cluck can be a contact call other birds a sound of contentment.The situation dictates what that sound means.Kind of like the word aloha it can mean hello or good bye.The bird your calling to does not know your situation so a soft yelp or cluck is always a good start.I dont think what one you start with matters as long as its realistic.Good Luck

TRG3

One of your best friends in learning about turkey calling, hunting, etc. is YouTube. It's not only very informative, it's free! I use it all the time when learning about a calling technique that's new to me like the wing bone yelper, nail call, etc. Best of luck in your venture!

ChiefBubba

The cluck and purr are 2 of the most underrated calls. Bubba

Marc

Some good advice given.

There are a number of YouTube videos of live hens making sounds.  Look at those videos and try to call along with them.

Yelping is the most common call and likely the easiest call to learn.  Light clucks are deadly.  All too often, less is more with calling.  As a general rule, call as little as you need and as much as you have to...

Often if you get a bird to respond, and he sounds excited...  Stop calling.  The more you call the more he expects the hen (i.e. you) to go to him.

A henless amorous tom can be an easy mark.  A tom with hens is going to be tough to call in.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

SteelerFan

https://youtu.be/htsEZa3iLgA

Scroll through the series... Jason Cruise does a pretty good job of explaining calls and turkey language. He's got some for the box call, too.

https://youtu.be/TlbDES4Zdy4

appalachianstruttstopper

Listen to live turkey sound files. Florida wildlife resource commission has some good ones on their site of real hens and gobblers spring and fall sounds. Watch some of the old school guys videoes and alot can be learned. Like the early ultimate spring stuff from knight and hale, early primos truth series stuff, hs strutt vids with Eddie Salter comes to mind. I don't call like David Hale nor do I use a push pull call, but he made it a point in their early ultimate spring videos to prove that his tactics work and he is no competition caller by no means but they know how to turkey hunt imho.