OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Federal tss questions  (Read 2723 times)

Offline Grouse870

Federal tss questions
« on: February 22, 2019, 07:13:40 PM »
This will be my sons first year hunting turkeys. I’ve got a Remington 870 youth set up I ordered 2 boxes of tss #9. I’ve got a Remington hevishot super full and a primos tightwad. But I’m wondering if I should just try the factory full I’ve got. I want a more forgiving pattern for him. I am going to pattern the gun but I would like to know if the full choke will give me a killing pattern out to 40 yards without being too tight at the 10-20 yard range.

Offline LRD

Re: Federal tss questions
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 02:47:30 AM »
I haven't personally shot tss with a full choke, but many people recommend a full choke for a kid that is effective to 40 yards.  I have a Tightwad in my son's 870 with hand loaded TSS #9. He's 11 and killed 4 birds with it last year. It shoots a nice even 20" pattern.

I'd shoot a shell through each choke including the full.

Offline LRD

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2019, 02:54:08 AM »
Also, a lot of people shoot the Remington factory turkey choke with tss which may be what you have. I tried a buddy's in my gun when pattering and shot well.  You don't have to choke tss as much as lead.

Another good cheap, choke which my gun liked the best is a Carlson's 575. Good luck with what you decide but be careful as you might have to switch to a 20 ga yourself if you haven't already. :)

Offline Fullfan

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2019, 08:33:16 AM »
Prior to hunting with my 20's I did hand load and shoot TSS 3" #9's in my 12ga's. I found that the factory full cokes did just as well as expensive after market chokes. And the patterns at 20ish yards were the size of a soccer ball. I started using the Fast Fires for a better POI, and have yet to miss while using TSS. Shots have been from 15is out to 46ish yards.
Don't gobble at me...

Offline Turkeyfever

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2019, 08:58:08 AM »
I started my son out with a modified choke to have a more open pattern and would limit his shots to 30 yards. We used the federal HVW #7. Federal has a wad that is now called the flitecontrol flex wad (it was just flitecontrol)and it actually shoots well out of more open chokes. We now shoot Federal TSS #9 with a Carlsons 575 in all our guns. I also put a red dot on our guns which really seemed to help him with POI and I have to admit that I like it myself!

Offline albrubacker

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2019, 10:47:06 AM »
This will be my sons first year hunting turkeys. I’ve got a Remington 870 youth set up I ordered 2 boxes of tss #9. I’ve got a Remington hevishot super full and a primos tightwad. But I’m wondering if I should just try the factory full I’ve got. I want a more forgiving pattern for him. I am going to pattern the gun but I would like to know if the full choke will give me a killing pattern out to 40 yards without being too tight at the 10-20 yard range.
Hope to see some of your patterns! I have the same 2 chokes for my daughter's gun.
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott