News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Flush mount vs extended chokes

Started by scoffman1, February 28, 2019, 07:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scoffman1

Quote from: tree-rat sniper on March 11, 2019, 11:46:28 PM
Here is a good article re: extended choke tubes & their uses /advantages.

https://www.chuckhawks.com/extended_chokes_patterns.htm
Great article, I am using a NEF that I had cut to 20 in and threaded for Win Chokes. I wanted to use it for run and gun and I back up or a spare for someone. I have some flush fit Carlson 585 choke and going to acquire a 575 as well merely because they are a 1/3 of the price of extended. I am going to use the same LB number 6s as I use in my 870, or may splurge on some cheaper ammo for this one. I would love to have a 40 yd gun here but I feel I may have a good 30 to 35 yd gun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

DBell

Quote from: scoffman1 on March 17, 2019, 03:33:30 PM
Quote from: tree-rat sniper on March 11, 2019, 11:46:28 PM
Here is a good article re: extended choke tubes & their uses /advantages.

https://www.chuckhawks.com/extended_chokes_patterns.htm
Great article, I am using a NEF that I had cut to 20 in and threaded for Win Chokes. I wanted to use it for run and gun and I back up or a spare for someone. I have some flush fit Carlson 585 choke and going to acquire a 575 as well merely because they are a 1/3 of the price of extended. I am going to use the same LB number 6s as I use in my 870, or may splurge on some cheaper ammo for this one. I would love to have a 40 yd gun here but I feel I may have a good 30 to 35 yd gun.

I don't see why you can't get a good 40 yard killing pattern with the LB#6 and your new setup. I'm averaging 110-130/10" circle at 40 yards with the 870 21" bbl 20 gauge. This is with a .565 trulock.
If you want to try a cheaper round, seriously consider the federal grand slams #5. They are $11 for a box of 10 and I get nice 35 yard patterns (80-100 in 10") with the same setup mentioned above. I stocked up on them that's how well they shoot. I'm ok with a 35 yard gun. I was in a similar situation as you. I bought a second 870 20 ga to get my dad out in the woods/backup gun and I ended up setting it up to shoot the feds and its much more forgiving then the LB but will thump out to 35 without a problem. Honestly it will most likely drop any bird at 37-38 yards based on the testing I've done. I like them enough that I will be using this setup for myself when I hunt solo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clydetaylor1

I have never tried a flush choke, all I ever shot was extended chokes.

scoffman1

Well from what I read that not a bunch of difference in performance. Granted the extra 2 inches the extended choke gains does improve somewhat.
Mainly appealing to the eye and a protection to end of barrel for damage prevention not due to shooting 

When I can get a Carlson turkey 575 for flush mount at 17 bucks or it's same in extended for 30 to 40 bucks. Why not take the chance.

scoffman1

Quote from: BrowningGuy88 on March 01, 2019, 07:46:41 AM
So I have a little insight.

With TSS, I haven't noticed a dramatic difference in flush versus extended unless you want a super hot core.

With lead and Hevi, the longer extended chokes pattern much better for me. This is across numerous 12's and 20's. The one exception being a double barrel CZ 20 and Carlson's flush tubes patterned so well with all 3 shot types I never looked for extended tubes.
Do you feel the extended chokes patterning better was due to about 2 inches more tube for the shot to ride?  Why I am also thinking the flush mount vs extended was due to the LB rounds. They have a resin on them and according to Carlson and Winchester is like a flying golf ball up to 17 yds