OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Longbeard #6 and Fed grand slam #5: final testing complete  (Read 8756 times)

Offline DBell

Longbeard #6 and Fed grand slam #5: final testing complete
« on: February 22, 2019, 05:02:17 PM »
*new pics added 3/15/19

Remington 870 20 ga
26 inch bbl
RR final strut .570 choke
Loads tested: LB #6 and Fed GS #5
41 degrees F
All pictures show 10 inch red circle (number of hits written inside circle). Second number outside of circle includes hits within roughly 2 inches of the 10 inch circle.

I am going to show pictures of the best patterns with each load, however I will also include overall averages at a given yardage based upon multiple shots at that yardage.

Fed GS #5 averages:
30 yards: 120-130 hits in the 10 & 185-190 hits in the 12

35 yards: 70-75 hits in the 10 & 125-135 hits in the 12

40 yards: 50 hits in the 10 & 100 hits in the 12

38-40 yard avg for LB#6 is 115 hits in the 10 and 175 hits in the 12

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 03:59:43 PM by DBell »

Offline huntinsomd

Re: Longbeard #6 and Fed grand slam #5: final testing complete
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 05:08:16 PM »
Looks like turkey dinner!

Offline valerio024

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 05:09:36 PM »

Great comparison. There’s not been many reviews of the grand slam.

Offline DBell

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 05:17:41 PM »

Great comparison. There’s not been many reviews of the grand slam.

The only reviews I found were on the older grand slam.

I was impressed with them for #5 lead out of a 20 ga. At $12 a box of 10, can’t argue on price, and I really like the pattern it’s throwing with this choke. I wouldn’t hesitate to shoot at 35 yds with them, or at 40 yds with the LB

Offline PALongspur

• Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2019, 08:50:24 AM »
The Grand Slams do great in my Benelli, I’d love to see them offered in a #6 load.

Offline DBell

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2019, 03:48:29 PM »
Got out today and shot some rounds through the new 870 compact I picked up last weekend.
21 inch barrel
Bead site
.565 trulock
35 degrees F
Wind 7-9 mph (tried to time shots when wind was down)
Shells tested: Fed Grand Slam #5, LB #6, and Hevi #6

All shots taken without lead sled or sandbags. I Kneeled and used a tree branch with a V to rest barrel in.

These are “worst case scenario” patterns based on the temp of 35F, and I’m very pleased with them.

Pics show 10 inch circle and also hits
~4-5 inches outside of the circle

Fed GS 30 yd

Fed GS 35 yd

LB 40 yd

Hevi-13 40 yd (didn’t mark hits outside of circle as this was the least favorable pattern)

Might need to throw some sights on but not sure yet. Seems to be hitting a little right but the 30 yd shot with fed GS was dead on. And the first 2 test shots I took with #7.5 dove loads at 25 yd were only right by and inch or two.

I have to say I’m really impressed with the Federal Grand Slam #5. This is a solid 35 yard lead load, and it seems pretty consistent. Optimal range is between 30-35 yards but based on the testing I’ve done, the pattern would likely still take a bird at 38-40 yards if distance was misjudged.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 04:09:35 PM by DBell »

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2019, 08:55:36 AM »
Thank you for that. I do a fair share of mentoring as well as teaching hunter ed. Lots of people ask opinions as to where to start w kids. Imo the longbeards are not child friendly loads very often.
I used to recommend mag shok federals and Winchester xx as a start point to try.
Getting new hunters to do lots of testing is too much investment for many.
I have a 20 set up n ready to go but the grand slam looks doable at reasonable range.
Good info

Offline DBell

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2019, 09:59:44 AM »
Thank you for that. I do a fair share of mentoring as well as teaching hunter ed. Lots of people ask opinions as to where to start w kids. Imo the longbeards are not child friendly loads very often.
I used to recommend mag shok federals and Winchester xx as a start point to try.
Getting new hunters to do lots of testing is too much investment for many.
I have a 20 set up n ready to go but the grand slam looks doable at reasonable range.
Good info
This was the best 30 yd pattern I was able to get with the double x using the trulock
A lot more forgiving then the federal but also only a 30 yd load MAX

With the .570, it was even worse, barely a 25 yard load for me.
I think the Flite control flex wad in the grand slam must be what is allowing a better pattern as compared to the double XX. I have also shot the double xx through a SSX .550 with no improvement in the pattern.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2019, 10:30:23 AM »
One of my best 12 ga loads for huntability for my style is xx. I’m mirroring exactly what you’re saying in a 20. The federal (mag shok before) was always better slightly farther. It was I thought the best compromise load in many situations. The grand slam I’ve never tried but I am going to once I run out.  Thanks for the info

Offline DBell

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2019, 02:26:06 PM »
One of my best 12 ga loads for huntability for my style is xx. I’m mirroring exactly what you’re saying in a 20. The federal (mag shok before) was always better slightly farther. It was I thought the best compromise load in many situations. The grand slam I’ve never tried but I am going to once I run out.  Thanks for the info
Midway is having a sale on them right now (all gauges), couple bucks off roughly per box and free shipping on $50 orders. I stocked up on the 20 ga. Glad the review was helpful

Offline TrackeySauresRex

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2019, 04:31:43 PM »
Ordered Friday didn’t get free ship:/
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Offline DBell

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2019, 03:59:27 PM »
Decided to take a few more shots today as the temps got up to 48. Real foggy, minimal wind. Wanted to double check the truglo sights on the 26” barrel 870. Seems like it might still be hitting a touch right but it could be me. Also wanted to run a few more through the new 870 with 21” barrel to check consistency with the loads. Alright here’s some pics. Targets show hits in the 10 inch circle and hits roughly in 20 inch circle

LB #6 40 yards

Boss Tom 40 yards

Fed grand slam 35 yards

Fed grand slam 38 yards

I’ve decided that the 870 w/ 26” barrel and truglo sights will be my back up gun and also the one my dad will use when he comes out with me. I’ll be toting the short barrel with bead sight. And I’m definitely sticking with the federal #5. They just look great out to 35, and although the numbers don’t look the best at 38 yards, it still looks like a dead bird. I’m calling this one a 35 yard max with a couple yards of error built in.

Boss Tom actually shoots pretty nice. It’s
Not breaking 10 inch circle records but it is nice and even, and patterns better than hevi shot did out of this combo.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 04:11:49 PM by DBell »

Offline surehuntsalot

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Mendenhall,Mississippi
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2019, 02:38:24 PM »
really enjoyed the reviews and pic's
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Offline DBell

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2019, 03:04:15 PM »
Alright, I’d say I’m wrapping this test up but I always end up wanting to shoot a few more shells. I went out today to test the boss tom shells at 40 yards with a tighter choke (.550 SSX) for some members in a different thread; I think it’s titled boss shotshells vs longbeard. Anyway, I had 5 rounds left in the box of fed grand slams so I figured I might as well finish em up and try to get a solid look at averages on this round. I used the 21” 870 trulock
.565, 45 F and sunny with intermittent winds at 13mph. All shots were at ~37-38 yards. I went a little more in depth on the patterns. I did the standard 10” and 20” circle. However, I also counted hits in the 4” point of aim circle, and I also drew a 4” x 14” rectangle at the point of aim to represent “vital area”. The picture will clarify what this looks like. Also keep in mind that although I draw the 10” around the densest part of the pattern, even if it’s not at point of aim, the 4” and vital area hit count are drawn at point of aim. The reason I did this is because it gives a more accurate number on what would have actually hit the bird in a hunting situation.

I also looked back through all the patterns with this exact setup that were shot at ~37-38 yards and calculated average number of hits in 4” point of aim circle, 10”, 20”, and vital area. Here are a few pictures to show what I did with each pattern.

Now for the averages of 9 shots:

4” point of aim circle- 9 hits
10”- 58 hits
20”- 136 hits
Vital area- 31 hits

The reason I chose 37-38 yards is because I will be trying to pull the trigger on a bird at 35 yards and in. I feel this is the max range of my setup. Knowing what the shell will do a couple yards beyond will give me some room for error in the woods.

This may not be very scientific, but it seems pretty practical, and gives what I believe to be a realistic representation of the capability of this economic lead shell. Shows you what the shot would have done if your aim was dead on, but also shows what it does when you were off a bit.

What does everyone think? I know there’s holes in the pattern and it’s not 80-100 hits in the 10, but Is it a dead bird in all these worst case scenario pics? Not sure how any bird would survive 9 hits of #5 lead to the noggin.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 07:48:12 PM by DBell »

Offline Ozark

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2019, 03:42:10 PM »
"I did the standard 10” and 20” circle. However, I also counted hits in the 4” point of aim circle, and I also drew a 4” x 14” rectangle at the point of aim to represent “vital area”. The picture will clarify what this looks like. Also keep in mind that although I draw the 10” around the densest part of the pattern, even if it’s not at point of aim, the 4” and vital area hit count are drawn at point of aim. The reason I did this is because it gives a more accurate number on what would have actually hit the bird in a hunting situation."
Great stuff,  I like your thinking.
Thanks for taking the time to post this up.
Ozark