OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Shane Simpson mouth call instructions  (Read 1930 times)

Offline tha bugman

• Paintbrush Beard
Shane Simpson mouth call instructions
« on: February 21, 2019, 04:24:31 PM »
I watched Shane's video on the difference in air flow and how to achieve the higher note based on which side air is being blown from.  It is my understanding that it all basically boils down to whether you blow a combo cut, reverse combo cut, batwing cut or a ghost cut  in order to get the high front note, all of which is determined by how the air is exiting your mouth  All other cuts are just going to be raspy????

Offline sbbow

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
Re: Shane Simpson mouth call instructions
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 05:18:34 PM »
For me it was ghost cut

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline larry9988

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 09:22:47 PM »
bugman, I think that sums it up well.

Offline J_mill

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 09:56:43 PM »
I watched his video a couple days ago. I haven’t had an issue with mouth calls like some have but his information definitely provided some insight that a lot of us may be missin. I am consistent in using a ghost cut but now want to try a few different cuts to see how valid the info is. Overall a great piece of useful knowledge.

Offline Gobble!

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Raptor Killer
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 10:23:27 PM »
That video helped my calling without question a couple years back.

Offline coyote1

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2019, 12:44:34 AM »
I think the information is valid. I'm not a good caller by any means, I have been experimenting with a lot of calls this year. It's easy for me to get the high front and low back on a bat wing. A combo cut takes some work and different tongue placement for me to get the high note, not natural for me. Ghost cut is easy to get the front of yelp but since figuring out I need small frame calls the ghost cut is out. I have found a small frame ghost cut will kee- kee- easily but the front of the yelp will remain too high no matter how much tongue pressure I use.

Bat wing and reverse combo are my cutts. Some folks that are really good can probably use anything.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 09:21:37 PM by coyote1 »

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2019, 10:49:36 AM »
Ordered it last night.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline compton30

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2019, 08:30:25 AM »
I think the information is valid. I'm not a good caller by any means, I have been experimenting with a lot of calls this year. It's easy for me to get the high front and low back on a bat wing. A combo cut takes some work and different tongue placement for me to get the high note, not natural for me. Ghost cut is easy to get the front of yelp but since figuring out I need small frame calls the ghost cut is out. I have found a small frame ghost cut will kee- kee- easily but the front of the yelp will remain too high no matter how much tongue pressure I use.

Bat wing is my cut. Some folks that are really good can probably use anything.

I agree with this.

Shane's method will shorten the learning curve. Fitting the call to you.

Conversely, if you watch any of Scott Ellis' videos on the topic, his method is essentially finding the high note in the yelp by moving your tongue placement around. Fitting you to the call.

Two different methods to achieve the same goal.

Offline Gen.27:3

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2019, 06:28:45 PM »

Bat wing is my cut. Some folks that are really good can probably use anything.

I agree with this.

Shane's method will shorten the learning curve. Fitting the call to you.

Conversely, if you watch any of Scott Ellis' videos on the topic, his method is essentially finding the high note in the yelp by moving your tongue placement around. Fitting you to the call.

Two different methods to achieve the same goal.

I think there is always more than one way to skin a cat. However, I thought the video was certainly helpful.
Gen 27:3  Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me,