OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mossberg 500 410 full choke?

Started by Ridge Rooster, February 20, 2019, 12:59:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ridge Rooster

I am thinking of trying a 410 this year. Local Walmart has a Mossberg 500 with 24" full choke and was wondering if anyone has tried one with 9's or 9.5's?

Thanks
Ridge Rooster
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

briton

I have that gun, tried it out the other day with both 9 and 9.5 just to see. It threw a good even pattern out to 30 with both and poi was almost dead on. The nines looked a little better surprisingly  but would not hesitate for a 30 and under gun with either one, nines we're just less patchy.

Ridge Rooster

Thanks. Hand loads or factory ammo?

Ridge Rooster

briton

RailRoader

Just curious how much is it at Walmart? I saw one that was fully camo, it was either $350 or $400.

valerio024

The bantam was also $254 at my Walmart. I'm thinking of picking up a 20ga bantam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RailRoader

valerio024

Good question.  I will swing by tomorrow on my way to work and look.

Ridge Rooster

No screw in chokes on the 410 500 at Walmart, just fixed full.

Ridge Rooster

Ridge Rooster

Finally got to fire a few rounds through my Mossberg 410 with 24" factory full choke. I had on hand Browning #9 TSS, Federal #9 TSS, and some handloads in 9.5's TSS. Best I could do at a laser ranged 40 yards was 105 in 10 @ 40 with the 9.5's. The Brownings were decent at 95 in 10, and the Federals were no good at 32 in 10. Decided to send barrel to SumToy for him to thread and choke. If I can't get 150 in 10 I will just hunt with my 20's. Unsure how to post pattern pictures or I would post them. I am sure that the Brownings or the Handloads would do fine if you kept your max to 30. The Federals were terrible but the new box that I bought had one round were the over shot card was not seated properly and leaking buffer. That is not the round I shot, I shot one that looked loaded properly.

Ridge Rooster