OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: WOODSROADS And A Backdoor Approach.  (Read 2604 times)

Offline quavers59

• The Boss Gobbler
WOODSROADS And A Backdoor Approach.
« on: January 28, 2019, 09:43:50 AM »
WOODSROADS is my Favorite way to quietly move through the open hardwoods. They are wide enough to be inviting Turkey highways as well as opposed to a Trail. If you can go d some woodsroads on your Topo map that run Near some Fields and Wetlands-- all the better. I try to stay away from the Fields in good Sunny Weather. Hunters Gravitate to Fields like-- Bees To Honey! Take the Backdoor Approach and some extra walking to put yourself in a much better position in the Hardwoods . If Fields are 1/4 mile away- some Gobblers are going to check your calling out. Calling and Woodsmanship will get your Gobbler. It takes time to learn all this though. Now is the time to to Scout and learn the wetlands and hardwoods. Winter Scouting keeps you in shape as well. Luck out there this Spring!

Offline silvestris

• Longbeard
Re: WOODSROADS And A Backdoor Approach.
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 03:20:21 PM »
If Fields are 1/4 mile away- some Gobblers are going to check your calling out.

Great advice and leads to great turkey "hunting" as opposed to sitting in a popup on the field watching a flock of decoys.
“[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer.”  Ken Morgan, “Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Offline bobk

• In Memorial
  • Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 03:29:08 PM »
WOODSROADS is my Favorite way to quietly move through the open hardwoods. They are wide enough to be inviting Turkey highways as well as opposed to a Trail. If you can go d some woodsroads on your Topo map that run Near some Fields and Wetlands-- all the better. I try to stay away from the Fields in good Sunny Weather. Hunters Gravitate to Fields like-- Bees To Honey! Take the Backdoor Approach and some extra walking to put yourself in a much better position in the Hardwoods . If Fields are 1/4 mile away- some Gobblers are going to check your calling out. Calling and Woodsmanship will get your Gobbler. It takes time to learn all this though. Now is the time to to Scout and learn the wetlands and hardwoods. Winter Scouting keeps you in shape as well. Luck out there this Spring!

Very Good advice. ...

Offline rifleman

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2019, 10:47:56 AM »
Not quite the same but similar.  Last spring I ran into a guy on a farm I hunt.  He said that he had been working birds from a certain spot in the woodlot (I knew the exact spot) and was getting used.  One day when he wasn't there I walked the long way around to the opposite side of the bird and sat near a fence line with an open field behind me.  He gobbled on the roost and I answered very softly and he roared back.  I just sat there and at flydown time he landed about 25yds away.  A fine 3 yr. old bird.  Doing different things does work.

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2019, 11:52:35 AM »
I'll add to this a little...…………

Always, ALWAYS call a little and wait a while before going around a bend on a woods road.  Gobblers like to use them just as much as gobbler hunters.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline Gen.27:3

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2019, 06:04:14 PM »
Great advice in this thread! I have killed a few birds in what we call log roads.
Gen 27:3  Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me,

Offline mudbug_4

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2019, 02:44:02 PM »
I have had great success using logging roads/firebreaks over the years...until this past season! While hunting public land in KS (Perry WMA), I had a bird on the edge of a lake around 90 yards away. He was at the end of a beautiful green grass trail and I was hiding behind a fallen log but he would not budge more than five yards in my direction. I don't know if another hunter had tried a similar setup or what...but I have a vendetta against that bird now and I hope to see him again real soon!

Offline Takeaim1st

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2019, 08:03:25 PM »
I can't  say that I have ever had a vendetta against a gobbler, I know exactly the feeling of the challenge some of them can be. To me those birds are the pure essence of turkey hunting. I have hunted a few like that throughout my career. I wish I could have been 100% sure it was the same gobbler the next season or the next. They would be in the same area and they would use the area the same way to avoid me. I once hunted what I believed to be the same bird for three seasons, on the third season He finally came in , if it was indeed the same bird. That being said, I waited for the right chance and took my hat off and shook it at Him. I hope He lived as long as Old gobblers can.