OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Newbie questions

Started by mpgavin1987, February 18, 2019, 07:12:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mpgavin1987

Back during deer season while walking in and also sitting in one of my stands I heard birds fly down in two locations on different days. I have the locations marked, when scouting and listening would you more experienced turkey hunters start in these locations or would you forget all about them? Are the local birds likely to use same roosting trees come April as the were in late fall, early winter?
I also had multiple birds walk in on me sitting in the same stand a few times always from the one direction. I have game camera pictures of birds coming from said direction. Would they possibly continue same routine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy

Maybe,maybe not. Depends on the food. Odds are that they haven't gone too far though. Find the food=find the hens= find the gobblers.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

dirt road ninja

I would start in the last place I saw them

Kylongspur88

If they're like the birds here they probably won't be far so long as nothing has bumped them too hard. Just don't get  close to roosting birds before the season. It's best to use your ears and binoculars. But remember these winter flocks will be breaking up soon. Birds will likely stay in the area but maybe not as concentrated as the big flocks.

MK M GOBL

I'm going to guess somewhat to your locale, I have birds on the farm year round but this changes throughout the year as to where they are. Winter/Spring/Summer/ Fall all makes a difference and the roosting sites change too. Right now I have birds congregated around the feed lot, roosting with in flydown of it, deep snow makes travel harder... My gobbler flocks do not roost with hens and the hen/jake/jenny flock is all together yet. Will see that change coming soon though.

MK M GOBL

mpgavin1987

Thank y'all for the input. I'll be sure to add it all to my constantly growing note pad I've started

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bowguy

I guess it depends where you live cause around here you won't even see them commonly in the fall and certainly not where they are in the spring.

GobbleNut

Simply put, during the spring the gobblers are going to tell you where they are once the mating season begins. If you don't know when that is where you are located, then start by being in the woods about two weeks before your season begins.   Finding them is primarily about hearing them.  Being in the woods at the right time is the key to finding springtime gobblers.  The primary "right time" is right at first light in the morning,...roughly an hour before sunrise until sunrise.  You will learn more about where your turkeys are during that timeframe than the rest of the day combined.

If you have a small, private parcel of land to hunt, be at the best spot on that property to hear the biggest area of the property during that timeframe.  If there are gobblers around, you will likely hear them gobble.  If you don't hear gobbling from a location, move to another vantage point and listen again.

If you are hunting larger tracts of land, stay as mobile as you can (using a vehicle is a good idea) and cover as much country as you can during that golden hour, stopping and listening for a few minutes at every location that you think you can hear a long ways.  If the mating season has started up, and you are in country that holds gobblers, you will hear them.

You will learn over time that you can speed the listening process up and cover much more country by using an effective locator call during that same time frame. 

Always approach spring gobbler hunting with the idea that your goal is to locate gobbling turkeys on the roost as your first course of action.  Once you find them, then you start hunting them.