OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Dedicated turkey shotgun  (Read 4703 times)

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Dedicated turkey shotgun
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2019, 05:27:25 PM »
No worries Sir-diealot it’s a good question...and thanks to everyone for their responses. 

I haven’t seen factory tss 8’s.  For that matter, I haven’t seen any quality turkey ammo in any store around me.  I may have to look in to reloading, where to start?
MidwayUSA.com for sure, have been buying from this since around 97 and they have always treated me well.
   For loading Tss , you want find what you need at Midway ... go on youtube and watch the video on loading Tss ... this will help you a bunch... You will need drill press and a roll crimper etc

Sorry for the mistake, always thought they covered everything reloading.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline fmf

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2019, 06:39:48 PM »
You don't need a drill press. Loaded a bunch with a standard drill, zero issues

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2019, 07:47:52 PM »
  No you don't need a drill press , but it don't hurt ... but you can do it with drill , main thing is getting good roll crimp , i agree ...   I've loaded cases not bunch....

Online crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2019, 08:28:31 PM »

X2, a hand drill makes nice roll crimps
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 12:07:31 PM by crow »

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2019, 06:31:55 AM »
Realize something. If you go for the TSS just to get started it’s craxy expensive. Now here’s the kicker. My buddy has everything to load except 1 part. He might as well have none right? Hopefully the piece he needs comes available before this season. If you go 20 cause you want to load TSS understand what no one is saying. It’s crazy expensive and parts are not apparently always readily available. If you buy only 1 gun at least try alternative lead loads as well. 
Another thing guys aren’t saying. I wonder if guns in 20 were ineffective before TSS? Oh yea the answer is no. Lots of birds killed w lead 20s, lots killed w hevi shot too.
Now I’m not discouraging you, just things to think about.

Online davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2019, 08:20:30 AM »
Realize something. If you go for the TSS just to get started it’s craxy expensive. Now here’s the kicker. My buddy has everything to load except 1 part. He might as well have none right? Hopefully the piece he needs comes available before this season. If you go 20 cause you want to load TSS understand what no one is saying. It’s crazy expensive and parts are not apparently always readily available. If you buy only 1 gun at least try alternative lead loads as well. 
Another thing guys aren’t saying. I wonder if guns in 20 were ineffective before TSS? Oh yea the answer is no. Lots of birds killed w lead 20s, lots killed w hevi shot too.

Would not say crazy expensive. You can get what you need to start and test for 200-300 bucks. The initial investment can be seen as steep but it is not overly expensive in the long run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2019, 09:35:43 AM »

Would not say crazy expensive. You can get what you need to start and test for 200-300 bucks. The initial investment can be seen as steep but it is not overly expensive in the long run.

Don’t mistake what I’m saying. I agree it’s an investment. For someone looking to buy something they need to know all the costs that’s all. If I ever decided to load TSS myself no question I’d load it.
If you add the price of a new gun, a choke, perhaps sights and the loading supplies it would add up. Maybe higher than some want to or can go.
The biggest consideration would be its close now so for this year it may not happen w the availability of supplies.
Like I said no attempt at swaying anyone. We all have our reasons, limitations, etc. just as long as the op is aware of what he’s getting into and can make the best decision for him.

Online davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2019, 09:38:10 AM »

Don’t mistake what I’m saying. I agree it’s an investment. For someone looking to buy something they need to know all the costs that’s all. If I ever decided to load TSS myself no question I’d load it.
If you add the price of a new gun, a choke, perhaps sights and the loading supplies it would add up. Maybe higher than some want to or can go.
The biggest consideration would be its close now so for this year it may not happen w the availability of supplies.
Like I said no attempt at swaying anyone. We all have our reasons, limitations, etc. just as long as the op is aware of what he’s getting into and can make the best decision for him.

Hopefully they will just use what they have as far as gun and choke goes. That is the beauty of TSS, you can conform it to multiple guns and gauges. Hand loaded TSS usually shoots very good out of full chokes and cheap chokes.

You are 100% right on availability of supplies though. Cannot wait last minute.

“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline SOCOM304

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2019, 10:56:21 AM »
Lots of good replies! I agree with Davisd9 myself. If the TSS #7’s are available in your area, go with them. Sure the density of 9’s will Rock the pattern board, but the 7’s would be deadly. Look how many of us love the Fed 7HW’s. They absolutely thump a bird! The TSS will be nastier yet with the increased mass. Obviously TSS will let you go down in shot size and get more hits using smaller shot, but I wouldn’t kick TSS 7’a to the curb if those are your best option without making a big splash. Good luck and shoot em in the snood with whatever load ya go with!

Online gobblers roost

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2019, 12:59:41 PM »
20 tss buff said.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Online gobblers roost

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2019, 12:59:57 PM »
20 tss nuff said.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline robertreed711

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2019, 08:45:52 AM »
As a fellow New Yorker I feel your pain with our dozens of useless gun laws.

I am not the type to advocate breaking the law and I am still not but I have been hunting in New York for fifty years and I have never, and I mean never been checked by DEC in the field.

Yes I have been stopped at check points during deer season with officers checking tags on deer. But I have never seen a turkey check Point.

That said 20 gauge Hevishot mag blends and 20 gauge Winchester Long Beard XR’s get the job done in the 20 gauge.

Good luck and happy hunting.

Hate to say it but I agree. Never been or heard of someone being checked and that rule only applies to turkeys so carry both with you and they can't say anything. "Officer, I carry the 9's for things other than turkeys".

It's a silly outdated rule. I don't use TSS but if I were to make the switch I'd take full advantage of them and go with 9's.

Offline robertreed711

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2019, 08:48:44 AM »
20Ga with tss 7,or 8 .  as far as an auto I'd go with the Weatherby sa-459 hands down.   NY rescinded its ban on mail order ammo but it's such a grey area still no one will ship it to your house so the only other option is to have to have it shipped to a gun dealer or someone with an FFL.

Isn't the SA-459 now considered an "assault weapon" in NY because it's a semi-auto with a pistol grip and therefore illegal?

Also, there are a bunch of places shipping ammo to NY now including God's and Target Sports USA.

CrustyRusty

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2019, 12:03:27 PM »
Not a good idea...if you are hunting turkeys in May there is no other open season for anything.  So, if you are carrying those 9’s you are asking for problems if you get stopped and it is very possible you will be violating the law by just having them on you.  Of course the chances are slim that you will run across a DEC officer, but that really isn’t the point is it.  Just because laws may be silly and outdated doesn’t mean we don’t have to obey them. 

As a fellow New Yorker I feel your pain with our dozens of useless gun laws.

I am not the type to advocate breaking the law and I am still not but I have been hunting in New York for fifty years and I have never, and I mean never been checked by DEC in the field.

Yes I have been stopped at check points during deer season with officers checking tags on deer. But I have never seen a turkey check Point.

That said 20 gauge Hevishot mag blends and 20 gauge Winchester Long Beard XR’s get the job done in the 20 gauge.

Good luck and happy hunting.

Hate to say it but I agree. Never been or heard of someone being checked and that rule only applies to turkeys so carry both with you and they can't say anything. "Officer, I carry the 9's for things other than turkeys".

It's a silly outdated rule. I don't use TSS but if I were to make the switch I'd take full advantage of them and go with 9's.

CrustyRusty

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2019, 12:07:39 PM »
Not an assault weapon.  Fixed magazine and lack of other features precludes it from being an assault weapon

20Ga with tss 7,or 8 .  as far as an auto I'd go with the Weatherby sa-459 hands down.   NY rescinded its ban on mail order ammo but it's such a grey area still no one will ship it to your house so the only other option is to have to have it shipped to a gun dealer or someone with an FFL.

Isn't the SA-459 now considered an "assault weapon" in NY because it's a semi-auto with a pistol grip and therefore illegal?

Also, there are a bunch of places shipping ammo to NY now including God's and Target Sports USA.