OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Dedicated turkey shotgun  (Read 4720 times)

CrustyRusty

Dedicated turkey shotgun
« on: February 18, 2019, 10:08:58 AM »
Ive got a dilemma and was looking for opinions.  I am thinking of buying a new semi auto.  I live in New York and we are restricted to pellet size here(8 and larger).

So, I am debating between getting a 20 ga and a 12.  I would love a 20 but if I cant take advantage of the TSS 9’s I am wondering what benefit there would be in buying a 20 and only being able to use 7’s.

It is doubtful NY would ever be progressive enough to accept the new advances in shotgun ammo(even though they shove every other progressive idea down our throats)

So what is the consensus, get a 20 or 12?  And, what brand to get with a barrel under 24”?

Thanks, Crusty

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
Re: Dedicated turkey shotgun
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 10:51:49 AM »
They sell TSS #8s
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Offline sixbird

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 10:57:23 AM »
I wouldn't hesitate to go with a twenty and TSS. I know a few guys who use them here in N.J. and they love them.
As for brand, I LOVE a Benelli M2. They're expensive but man, are they a sweet gun!
I have a buddy who has a Winchester SX3 that he really likes.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 11:04:15 AM »
I will always consider my browning bps 12 ga 3.5 nwtf my favorite and the gun I take the majority of the time because I find it is the best turkey gun built but I also have been on a 20 gauge kick the last few years and have picked up 5 different ones,all I can say is that the new ammo has made the 20 gauge as deadly as a 12 gauge and there will be less recoil,less weight and other reasons to pick the 20 gauge.All comes down to personal preference and confidence.I like the 12 ga as It just fits me and I prefer a 12 gauge if I had to choose one,but I don't so I use both.
Browning'....“The Best There Is”

Austin 3:16...........

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 11:27:16 AM »
You could roll 8's - if you already have a 12. Go 20 and roll your own.

Offline fmf

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2019, 11:33:54 AM »
If you haven't looked into loading your own it is crazy easy and the only tool you need to buy is a $30 roll crimper. I'm sure you own a drill and can find something around the house to vibrate the buffer. I used a little electric sander for that. 

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2019, 11:43:52 AM »
Getting tss/htl  ammo in smaller gauges locally might be a problem. Doesn't NY have some stupid laws now that prohibit mail order ammo sales? Over the counter  ammo availability might be limited. Are reloading components affected by any laws there? Might be able to reload if the laws allow components to be purchased online. A 20 gauge seems to make a handy little turkey gun, as many people love them with the new loads, but a 12 may be far more versatile if you have a limited selection of off the shelf ammo.

Offline mike103

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2019, 12:21:41 PM »
As a fellow New Yorker I feel your pain with our dozens of useless gun laws.

I am not the type to advocate breaking the law and I am still not but I have been hunting in New York for fifty years and I have never, and I mean never been checked by DEC in the field.

Yes I have been stopped at check points during deer season with officers checking tags on deer. But I have never seen a turkey check Point.

That said 20 gauge Hevishot mag blends and 20 gauge Winchester Long Beard XR’s get the job done in the 20 gauge.

Good luck and happy hunting.

Offline nyhunter

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2019, 02:00:45 PM »
20Ga with tss 7,or 8 .  as far as an auto I'd go with the Weatherby sa-459 hands down.   NY rescinded its ban on mail order ammo but it's such a grey area still no one will ship it to your house so the only other option is to have to have it shipped to a gun dealer or someone with an FFL.

Online davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2019, 02:04:18 PM »
TSS 7s you are getting 185 pellets to the oz, with 8s you are getting 254, use the 8s if you are going to reload. Your numbers will not be huge compared to 9s but I bet you could easily do 225-250 and it will kill the snot out them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline Gobble!

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Raptor Killer
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2019, 03:08:14 PM »
Agree with others, TSS #8s are a solid alternative.

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2019, 03:18:07 PM »
Quick question just want a yes or no answer so as not to derail his thread but would a Lee Loadall 2 would for reloading TSS #8'S Thank you.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

CrustyRusty

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2019, 04:18:20 PM »
No worries Sir-diealot it’s a good question...and thanks to everyone for their responses. 

I haven’t seen factory tss 8’s.  For that matter, I haven’t seen any quality turkey ammo in any store around me.  I may have to look in to reloading, where to start?

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2019, 04:23:41 PM »
No worries Sir-diealot it’s a good question...and thanks to everyone for their responses. 

I haven’t seen factory tss 8’s.  For that matter, I haven’t seen any quality turkey ammo in any store around me.  I may have to look in to reloading, where to start?
MidwayUSA.com for sure, have been buying from this since around 97 and they have always treated me well.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Online Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2019, 05:21:52 PM »

MidwayUSA.com for sure, have been buying from this since around 97 and they have always treated me well.
   For loading Tss , you want find what you need at Midway ... go on youtube and watch the video on loading Tss ... this will help you a bunch... You will need drill press and a roll crimper etc