OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Winchester SX3 Long Beard 20 Gauge Carlson's Longbeard XR  (Read 7761 times)

Offline Reddog1966

Winchester SX3 Long Beard 20 Gauge Carlson's Longbeard XR
« on: February 17, 2019, 07:03:28 PM »
Hey Folks,
  New guy here....I have been cruising through these forums for a while now.  I thought I would join the ranks and share my testing.

This morning in Ga it was about 50 degrees, overcast and misting rain.  We put a pop-up tent over the bench and started shooting.  My goal today was to sight in my red dot, get a pattern test at 20/40yds and test TSS penetration on a piece of metal at 40yds. 

Range-20 and 40yds were verified with a laser range finder
Firearm-Winchester SX3 Long Beard 20 gauge
Chokes- Carlson's Long Beard XR .568" and the Briley Factory Choke .570" according to a Briley Customer Service Rep
Optic- Burris Fastfire iii
Ammo-Federal TSS #7 and Winchester Long Beard XR #6 for metal penetration test only.
Caldwell Lead Sled

On the target pictures the choke and ammo is listed on the bottom right of the picture.

Metal Penetration test- These were shot at 40yds with the Carlson's Choke.  I picked up some metal step flash(Not aluminum) at Home Depot.  It is .010" thick.  One picture shows the front and the other shows the rear.  The left piece is the Federal TSS #7 with 100% of the pellets passing through.  The right is the Long Beard XR #6 where only 2 pellets passed through. 

For me, TSS and the Carlson's choke is the clear winner.

Offline Curtdawg88

Re: Winchester SX3 Long Beard 20 Gauge Carlson's Longbeard XR
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 08:03:14 PM »
Cool! Nice to see what they say about TSS penetration is true. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Life is tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid."

Offline robertreed711

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 09:40:06 PM »
Nice!

Just curious, have you patterned the long beard XR at the same ranges?

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 10:31:33 PM »
Welcome to the forums, nice patterns.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Fullfan

• Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 08:13:37 AM »
Tss is no joke, the long beard shell crew will not agree though.  I bought two X3 long beards, one for me and one for my son. Have not hunted them yet but hand loaded TSS 9's does outstanding with the factory and the Truelock 585. 
Don't gobble at me...

Offline Reddog1966

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2019, 08:23:25 AM »
Nice!

I did test Long Beard XR #6 last year in my 20ga SX3 Waterfowl edition (26" barrel).  If I can find where I put the targets I will add some pictures.  Otherwise I will be shooting again in the next several weeks and I can do a another pattern test with it.  For me, TSS held a better pattern and had more energy than LB XR.  TSS is just expensive!  If I didn't want to or couldn't Spend the money on TSS then LB XR #6's would be my go to.

Offline robertreed711

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2019, 08:43:48 AM »
Nice!

I did test Long Beard XR #6 last year in my 20ga SX3 Waterfowl edition (26" barrel).  If I can find where I put the targets I will add some pictures.  Otherwise I will be shooting again in the next several weeks and I can do a another pattern test with it.  For me, TSS held a better pattern and had more energy than LB XR.  TSS is just expensive!  If I didn't want to or couldn't Spend the money on TSS then LB XR #6's would be my go to.

I would love to see them. I don't doubt the penetration or effectiveness of the TSS loads but I live in NY and mail ordering ammo is a nightmare and I can't find it locally.

From what I've seen, the Longbeard XR loads seem to be the best bang for the buck and I can find them in a few local places so they will likely be what I use.

CrustyRusty

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2019, 09:50:48 AM »
One of the reasons I am not jumping on the tss or 20ga bandwagon is because it’s so hard to find, and as you said, mail order is near impossible for us NYers. 

Nice!

I would love to see them. I don't doubt the penetration or effectiveness of the TSS loads but I live in NY and mail ordering ammo is a nightmare and I can't find it locally.

From what I've seen, the Longbeard XR loads seem to be the best bang for the buck and I can find them in a few local places so they will likely be what I use.

Offline robertreed711

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2019, 10:33:28 AM »
One of the reasons I am not jumping on the tss or 20ga bandwagon is because it’s so hard to find, and as you said, mail order is near impossible for us NYers. 

Nice!

I'm jumping on the 20 ga bandwagon, even non TSS loads perform more than well enough for me. Hopefully the TSS loads start becoming more available/affordable in the future! A TSS load in #8 shot would be real nice since it would be within the state regulations.

CrustyRusty

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2019, 10:47:24 AM »
I hear ya.  I’ve got some money burning a hole in my pocket for a new gun and struggling with what to get. I really wanted to get the new V3 turkey pro but the initial post really got me thinking.

Nice!

I'm jumping on the 20 ga bandwagon, even non TSS loads perform more than well enough for me. Hopefully the TSS loads start becoming more available/affordable in the future! A TSS load in #8 shot would be real nice since it would be within the state regulations.

Offline robertreed711

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2019, 11:10:11 AM »
I hear ya.  I’ve got some money burning a hole in my pocket for a new gun and struggling with what to get. I really wanted to get the new V3 turkey pro but the initial post really got me thinking.

Nice!

I'll be ordering one of these and throwing a Nikon Turkey Pro on it! I think it should be a deadly combo.

Offline Deast1988

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2019, 02:27:55 PM »
Sx3 nwtf is a great rig

That long beard model is cooking.

Offline Fullfan

• Longbeard
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2019, 08:45:23 AM »
Sx3 nwtf is a great rig

That long beard model is cooking.

I have the x3 in 20 Long beard. Gun is a bit heavier and does not feel as good as my Sa459. Have not hunted it but it does put up good numbers with hand loaded tss. It was almost twice as much as the SA459 also.
Don't gobble at me...

Offline KyScott

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2019, 09:53:08 PM »
Very nice patterns buddy. Looks like that Briley choke may be just a little more forgiving on those shots. Probably would be my pick..

Offline robertreed711

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2019, 12:59:22 PM »
Nice!

Still interested in seeing these if you have them.

Thanks!