OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Vortex Venom  (Read 4035 times)

Offline Cecil

Vortex Venom
« on: February 17, 2019, 12:03:05 PM »
I am looking for some help. I mounted a vortex venom on my sx3 I have ran out of adjustment. Does anyone have any suggestions on getting it  to POI. I thought about taking the adjustment back and taking it off to see if I could get it closer. any suggestions would be appreciated.

CrustyRusty

Re: Vortex Venom
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 03:36:15 PM »
Cut a shim out of a coke can and put it between the sight and the mount.  Common problem with the Burris, surprised to hear the Venom is having this problem.  Good luck

Or, buy this...

https://www.mountsplus.com/um-tactical-delrin-shim-15-degree-for-vortex-venom-burris-fastfire-docter-optic-sights.html

Offline Browning87

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 12:26:26 PM »
I had the same issue with the venom mounted on a 870. I bought that shim as mentioned above and problem solved!

Offline Cecil

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 02:08:08 PM »
I thought I put on here that it was left to right not up down. I have taken it off moved it back towards me and retightened it up hoping that will help.

CrustyRusty

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 02:20:59 PM »
You can still shim the sight, putting a small piece of aluminum can in between the base and clamp.

Offline Cecil

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 02:32:12 PM »
okay thanks for the replies.

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2019, 07:17:26 PM »
just a question how will a shim help out on left to right adjustment?

CrustyRusty

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2019, 09:27:41 PM »
If you put a shim on one SIDE of the base between it and the clamp on the mount it will affect left or right adjustment just like putting one between the top of the sight base and the sight. You put the shim toward the back of one side depending on  where you need the adjustment made.  It’s not ideal but will work

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2019, 10:20:45 PM »
thanks for the reply I understand now

rdjustham

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2019, 08:50:10 AM »
When i mounted mine, brand new out of the box i ran out of adjustment as well.  Wast until after a box of shells my brain kicked in and i realized the dot wasnt moving.  I ran the adjustment all the way up then back down a few times and it fixed the problem.  Called vortex and spoke with a technician who told me that it happens regularly and what i did is what they suggest.  Havent had an issue since.  May not be whats going on with yours but worth checking.

Offline Duffer58

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2019, 12:46:02 PM »
I've heard about the not adjusting out of box issue too but have not had that issue with it with my Venom.  If you're sighting in off a rest like a lead sled, look through the sight and put the sight on where you were aiming and then adjust the dot to where the center of your pattern is on the paper.  If the dot doesn't move with adjustment - which I have had with cheaper red dots - try the full up and down adjust recommend to clear it. 
870 SPS SM 23" Barrel / Indian Creek 0.665 / EO Tech 512 & Weatherby SA-459 / Carlson 0.555 / Vortex Venom

Offline Cecil

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2019, 10:10:46 AM »
I took the sight back off the gun and put it back on after i ran the settings back I remounted it closer to me and it almost fell into to place. I was then able to get the gun and sight sighted in. Thanks for the replies.

rdjustham

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2019, 03:50:47 PM »
Good deal.  Glad it worked out for you.