OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: 20ga build  (Read 2061 times)

Offline Curtdawg88

20ga build
« on: February 16, 2019, 04:59:47 PM »
My first gun was a Remington 870 20ga youth model when I was 9. I used it for several years before inheriting my grandad’s Browning A5 12ga. The 20 has been used very little over the last 20 years. I’ve been threatening to turn it into a turkey gun for several years. Finally sucked it up and just placed an order today. Here’s what I’m waiting on

Carlson extended .575 choke
Federal TSS #9s
New magazine cap with sling stud and stock sling stud
The Claw sling

I’m undecided on a stock at the moment. From what I read, the shurshot is only good with optics and I’ll be shooting the bead. May end up replacing the wood stock and fore end with synthetic. I would love a pistol grip type but not sure what to get.

Stayed tuned for updates.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Life is tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid."

Offline DKenny

Re: 20ga build
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 06:16:26 PM »
I am in the process of turning my son's youth 870 in to a turkey gun for him. I got the same choke as you, but ordered federal HW #7s in 2 3/4. Adding a bushnell TRS-25 to his and I may go shurshot,  depending if I can find one local. Good luck with yours.

Offline BBURN

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 12:40:45 PM »
I’ll ask a question too since I’m thinking about setting my son’s Remington 870 youth 20 into a turkey gun for him.  The question I have is increasing stock length without replacing the stock.  I just watched a video on YouTube in which the guy added a Limbsaver slip-on recoil pad over the original recoil pad to lengthen the gun. Limbsaver recommends to remove the original and slip-on the replacement, but they also say you can use the slip-on over the existing recoil pad.  I’m trying to keep the gun as close to the original as possible so he can return to the youth size for the growing grandkids later if he wants, but not sure how a slip-on without removing the original pad will work. Any thoughts and/or recommendations will be appreciated.

Offline tracker#1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
  • Big game tracker with dogs, Oathkeeper, NRA Endowm
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 12:54:54 PM »
Limbsaver makes different size slip on. I believe small, medium, large. You can take your gun with you to the gun shop and have them see what fits you or just at the gun shop have them try on one of there guns and shoulder it. (Don't forget you might have a jacket on a cool morning) Where it to the shop or retailer. I use a Limbsaver slip on my crossbow stock, works great.

Offline HD28

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2019, 12:55:11 PM »
That is what I did. Put slip on over existing butt pad to increase length of pull, but honestly, I kinda like it better without the extra.

Offline BBURN

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2019, 02:00:46 PM »
I think I’ll go with a slip-on and give it a try. I just resently started turkey hunting and my son doesn’t turkey hunt...yet.  I’m going to set up his old youth model and have it ready. I’m then going to get him home and call him up a gobbler. After that, I know there’s no turning back. Lol