OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: TIX-No-More  (Read 2696 times)

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
TIX-No-More
« on: February 15, 2019, 09:31:58 AM »
http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,3417.0.html

Whether you use a commercial product or make your own soaking solution, take the time before season opens to prepare your hunting clothes with a Permethrin based treatment to eliminate the threat of tick and chigger bites this year. Ticks can be a very real problem in different areas of the country in the spring and can carry and infect you with the bacterium Borrelia burgdorferi. People are becoming more aware of the long term problems that tick bites can create.  Do yourself and your loved ones a favor and treat your clothes.  Permethrin doesn't just repel ticks, it actually kills them rather quickly from simply making contact with it on your clothes. It has been proven to be benign to humans when applied per instructions and allowed to dry completely prior to wearing.  Since I have been treating my turkey hunting clothes with Permethrin going on  8 years now, I have found ZERO ticks, redbugs or chiggers on me. ZERO!

Enjoy your spring turkey season without having to worry about this preventable problem. You got other things that your attention needs to be focused on.

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Offline TKE921

Re: TIX-No-More
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 07:47:11 PM »
I use Sawyer spray all the time now.  I have that skin type that bugs of all sorts are attracted to.  I can be standing in a group of people and be swatting skeeters like there is no tomorrow and they are just fine.

Be advised though:  Non dried permethrin will kill fluffy the house cat.

Offline Twowithone

• Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2019, 07:59:40 PM »
Used Sawyers for yrs till I saw the homebrew and it works 3 yrs now with the homebrew and no ticks.   :firefighter:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

Offline badwolf

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 06:01:40 AM »
Gamehide elimatick clothes for me, lightweight camo and permanently treated. No ticks  and no spraying

Offline Hayudog

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2019, 08:38:33 AM »
Good reminder Fullchoke!  Thanks. 
And I have to admit, been on this forum for a long time and this is the first time I've read about the home brew tick spray in that thread. I'm going to try to copy and paste over on the Guns n Hoses team page. 
Thanks again and good luck this year.

Offline buckmark13

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 09:52:24 AM »
Been using a home brew for years and NEVER have any ticks on me.  I can go for a 30 yard walk in my backyard without treated clothes or shoes and pick one up. Protect yourself!

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2019, 12:04:42 PM »
Some of the Permethrin 10% products that are intended for livestock usage are petroleum based. They have an odor when first applied which fades after a week or two. I just treated my clothes with one of these products, allowed them to dry for several days laying on a plastic sheet in the garage. I now have them on hangers to allow air to circulate through them and lose the smell that much more. They should be in great shape by opening day.

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Offline TKE921

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2019, 12:59:12 PM »
Since we are on the subject of bugs and most of you fellas on TR20s are from the deep south...... Will one Thermacell and some deep woods off be enough to keep the skeeters away when I am on my hunt in FL?  How long does one Thermacell pad work @ peak performance?  Here in WV and VA we really don't have to worry about skeeters until after our season ends.

Thanks in advance

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2019, 03:01:07 PM »
I have found that through careful conservation of the pad and turning the unit on only when setting up, I can get around a day to a day and a half per pad. Thermacells work beautifully when they work right. Rely on DWO when you are moving or are in windy conditions.

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2019, 07:02:42 PM »
i never go with out extra pads and refills for the thermocell but like Norman says you can conserve and they will last longer

Offline mightyjoeyoung

• Longbeard
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2019, 03:47:43 AM »
I use Sawyer spray all the time now.  I have that skin type that bugs of all sorts are attracted to.  I can be standing in a group of people and be swatting skeeters like there is no tomorrow and they are just fine.

Be advised though:  Non dried permethrin will kill fluffy the house cat.

No it won't.   Not at the concentrations we're using to treat our clothing, which should be no higher than 1%. It usually takes a minimum of 5% and higher to become toxic to cats, so go ahead and cuddle fluffy all you want.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Offline 3seasons

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2019, 06:59:37 PM »
Ok here is an in the field report for the use of permethrin mix.   On my recent trip to Oklahoma and Arkansas the ticks were insanely bad. My clothes are treated buy my hunting buddy's were not but he did use OFF tick spray. In 5 days I had one tick crawling on my temple after I sat in a bush so guessing he hopped on my face mask which was not treated.  I rubbed a bush and looked down and had 2 on my hand crawling and 10 on my treated gaiters, some of which fell off before I could knock them off. Then one afternoon it was hot so I wore shorts and a t-shirt with my mesh suit and I had regular socks on that day that weren't treated, I had 1 seed tick not attached yet under my sock(most all my hunting socks are). Now that day I set my decoy bag down beside me and it was literally covered with ticks small and large ones, ugh gives me the hebigibies just writing this. 

My buddy probably pulled 2 dozen+ ticks off of him that were biting. and to many to count off his clothes and just crawling on him.  And he used up 2 cans of spray.  He was constantly pulling ticks.

It was so bad we killed 5 just crawling across his dash, windshield and radio face. 

The one time I stepped out of the truck with regular pants on I picked 5 off of them. Made my skin crawl the rest of the trip. 

So that's as good a test as can be done and I'll have all my clothes treated as well as my bags and anything else I'm taking near the woods