OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: DSD Hen?  (Read 2645 times)

Offline jordanz7935

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: DSD Hen?
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2019, 02:07:08 PM »

How do you define best? Best looking, yeah they pretty much have that in the bag. Best for packing into the woods for a long walk, no way.
[/quote]
DSD's are nice decoys but they are a pain to carry and are loud compared to avianx.I cant imagine carrying 2 hardbody dsds and hearing that hard plastic knocking each other on every step. Ive got a flock of avians and as far as hens go ive always gotten the best reaction out of birds with the original upright hen. That posture seems to get most hens agitated enough to come in and assert there dominance. Shes also brought in a lot of gobblers to their death standing by herself. Ive seen a lot of birds killed over jake and strutter decoys and in my experience gobblers completely ignore any hens you have in your decoy spread and ALWAYS key in on the jake or strutter. In other words i dont think having a hen or hens in those situations did anything but add to the things i had to carry out. I would get an upright hen(dsd or avian) as it will add to your "spread", and be more effective all by itself compared to any breeder or feeder style hens.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 03:40:59 PM by jordanz7935 »

Offline Turkeytider

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2019, 03:22:57 PM »
Not real sure how it got there, guess I pushed the wrong emoji. Meant to be a smile. My apologies.

Offline CAPTJJ

• Rod Bender Charters
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2019, 06:41:43 PM »
DSDs are not hard plastic, they flex some, and there is no knocking sound when carrying a pair.

Offline tha bugman

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2019, 03:51:39 PM »
IMO I would get an upright hen.  if you are ever hunting in higher grass, the feeder hen may not be as visible. 

Online RutnNStrutn

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2019, 06:07:01 PM »
DSDs are not hard plastic, they flex some, and there is no knocking sound when carrying a pair.
That's the truth!! :icon_thumright:

DSD's are nice decoys but they are a pain to carry and are loud compared to avianx.I cant imagine carrying 2 hardbody dsds and hearing that hard plastic knocking each other on every step.
I don't know how you are carrying DSD's Jordan, but mine don't knock and make noise, even when I'm carrying my upright and feeding hens along with a jake. I just keep all of them in the carrying bags that come with them, and put all three bags into a big mesh decoy bag and cinch the drawstring up tight.
I don't like Avians. I find them to look less realistic and they seem heavier. Plus I don't want to blow them up and deflate them.
But my opinion doesn't matter. To each their own decoy brand, or no decoys. Whatever the hunter prefers. Good luck this spring!!

Offline jordanz7935

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2019, 09:23:48 PM »
The one i carried this fall was loud and hard plastic, i do believe it was an older dsd maybe even the original, now that i think about it. Im sure the new ones are different by the way you guys are talking. They are nice decoys no doubt. A lot of good dekes on the market these days compared to 10 yrs ago.

Offline MISSISSIPPI Double beard

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2019, 09:26:28 PM »
Yes the early ones are hard.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

Offline SemoRiverRat

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2019, 09:20:00 AM »
I’ve had awesome interactions from hens and gobblers with the upright hen, that would be my choice.

Offline TomRC

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2019, 04:18:13 PM »
Thanks again. Guess I'll go spend some more $. Putting a camo sponge paint job on my little 870 20 gauge today. Season's getting close!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Gobble!

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Raptor Killer
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2019, 04:21:48 PM »
Thanks again. Guess I'll go spend some more $. Putting a camo sponge paint job on my little 870 20 gauge today. Season's getting close!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah this is tinkering season. I got a DSD I need to repaint, MODed the seat on my Alps, some shells to load, and we will see what else comes up before March. 

Offline TomRC

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2019, 06:01:19 PM »
Redneck tinkering and projects NEVER seem to end. Picked up a Tikka CTR 6.5 Creedmoor yesterday to start a long range rifle build.......not for turkeys......of course :):) Need to tie some flies too and get the waders out as well.........so many things to do........so little time!!