OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Drilled & Tapped  (Read 4878 times)

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Drilled & Tapped
« on: February 12, 2019, 10:05:36 AM »
What is a fair price to get a gun drilled and tapped for a shotgun scope? I want to get mine done no later than next month so that I can feed some lead through it and see how it shoots with the new scope.

I have to get ready for PT but will reply when I get home from that. Thank you all for the help
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

CrustyRusty

Re: Drilled & Tapped
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 11:09:10 AM »
I recently had a professional gunsmith drill and tap my shotgun. Unfortunately he messed it up so bad that he had to buy me another shot gun. It was a Remington 870 20 gauge.  After that fiasco I decided to do it myself. I bought a scope rail for a Remington 870 and I bought several carbide drill bits at the appropriate size and die’s. I used my drill press with a press vice  and it came out perfectly. I was amazed at how easy it was to do.

I did all four holes on an old police magnum and on the 20 gauge I wound up only drilling two holes for the Remington pattern and I put a short tail on it with a fast fire on it.

If you have a drill press and are somewhat handy you will have no problem at all doing it. If you decide to do it yourself send me a PM and I will be happy to go through the procedure I followed to get it done correctly or look on 870.com he has a YouTube video
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 02:00:38 PM by CrustyRusty »

Offline Gog1015

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 11:31:31 AM »
I’m having one done now and he is charging me $25 per hole. I could have got it done cheaper but the shipping cost made up the difference. Mine is only 2 holes for a Sumtoy mount.

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 03:41:05 PM »
I recently had a professional gunsmith drill and tap my shotgun. Unfortunately he messed it up so bad that he had to buy me another shot gun. It was a Remington 870 20 gauge.  After that fiasco I decided to do it myself. I bought a scope rail for a Remington 870 and I bought several carbide drill bits at the appropriate size and die’s. I used my drill press with a press vice  and it came out perfectly. I was amazed at how easy it was to do.

I did all four holes on an old police magnum and on the 20 gauge I wound up only drilling two holes for the Remington pattern and I put a short tail on it with a fast fire on it.

If you have a drill press and are somewhat handy you will have no problem at all doing it. If you decide to do it yourself send me a PM and I will be happy to go through the procedure I followed to get it done correctly or look on 870.com he has a YouTube video
Thanks Crusty but my friends have a saying, "Keep Steve away from tools" I am pretty bad with most any tool, I can't even hammer a nail straight though I do think that is largely due to my depth perception problems. It is funny because my father could do anything he set his mind to that involved tools but I have had people rip tools out of my hand and do it themselves because they got aggravated watching me fumble with what I was working on, last time it was a kickstand on a bike.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 03:46:15 PM »
I’m having one done now and he is charging me $25 per hole. I could have got it done cheaper but the shipping cost made up the difference. Mine is only 2 holes for a Sumtoy mount.
Ah okay, I have 3 places in the area, the one guy seems high and everybody says he is, the second kind of irked me getting ready for deer season because he was supposed to get something for me I do not even recall what now and ended up changing his story many times and then I had him get me a Limbsaver for my 30.06 and he ordered the wrong one. The third has an excellent reputation but is impossible to get a hold of.

John Koenig:

CrustyRusty

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 07:25:22 PM »
I understand everyone should know their limits...that’s why I don’t cook lol.  What kind of gun is it btw. If a Remington I would suggest a saddle mount until you could have enough time to send it out to someone like Sumtoy.   At least you can get thru the season that way.

Offline coyote1

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 08:14:18 PM »
Any reputable gun smith should be able to drill and tap for $50 or $60 . It is getting hard to find good gunsmiths in my
area. I have gone to doing most work myself.

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2019, 10:04:02 PM »
I understand everyone should know their limits...that’s why I don’t cook lol.  What kind of gun is it btw. If a Remington I would suggest a saddle mount until you could have enough time to send it out to someone like Sumtoy.   At least you can get thru the season that way.

I have a Remington 11-87 that it will be going on. I already have the mount pictured above, I thank you for the idea though.

John Koenig:

Offline Lefty

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2019, 09:21:27 AM »
I took my 870 to the shop yesterday and they charge $30 a hole, seemed a little high to me but they have the market cornered in my area.

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 11:08:52 PM »
I took my 870 to the shop yesterday and they charge $30 a hole, seemed a little high to me but they have the market cornered in my area.
It is getting very hard to find quality gun shops in my area any more, the Dem's here in NY have made it very hard on gun shops and Cuomo is making it much worse. I love my state but hate that NYC runs the state.

John Koenig:

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2019, 06:23:01 AM »
I agree w personally doing it yourself. It’s really not hard but if you’re not comfortable it’s understandable. Being it’s so simple and takes minutes only don’t let em rob you.
Libs are killing the area and the country not just NYS.

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2019, 07:59:44 PM »
guy charged me $53 for two holes and mounting I was happy, Benelli said they charge $20 a hole

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2019, 01:05:21 PM »
I agree w personally doing it yourself. It’s really not hard but if you’re not comfortable it’s understandable. Being it’s so simple and takes minutes only don’t let em rob you.
Libs are killing the area and the country not just NYS.
Like they say the best way to fix the country is to get rid of the politicians.

John Koenig:

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2019, 01:06:32 PM »
guy charged me $53 for two holes and mounting I was happy, Benelli said they charge $20 a hole
I think I am going to have to go with the expensive guy I mentioned above, he is pricey but at least he has a solid reputation.

John Koenig:

Offline AT

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2019, 02:29:02 PM »
I just took a 20 gauge to get drilled and tapped. 40 bucks for 4 holes