OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: iGobbler  (Read 2075 times)

Online FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
iGobbler
« on: February 11, 2019, 12:05:19 PM »
Guys,

A couple of years back, I downloaded a free mapping app (HuntStand) on my iPhone for use while hunting. I am still quite comfortable moving through the woods using my "analog GPS" (compass), but I have become rather attached to the information storage capabilities on this app.

What, if anything do you use to navigate through the forest?

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
Re: iGobbler
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 08:23:21 PM »
I use  huntstand and antlerinsanity

Offline harleytom

• The Boss Gobbler
    • Tinypic
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 10:16:58 PM »
OnX for me, though I have used Huntstand also.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Offline 3seasons

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 06:31:16 PM »
OnX, HuntStand, motionX GPS, Gaia GPS and google earth. And a compas  Just depends on which one has she most updated map And the best Topo for the area I’m hunting.  Nothing can beat just knowing the area you’re in but when in new areas any tool you can utilize it’s a big help.

Online FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 09:50:22 AM »
Although I like the versatility of HuntStand, I wish that it had the option of aerial backgrounds that were shot during winter months. Google Earth let's you scroll back to earlier photos and allows you a better view of the terrain by having views in February when the leaves are off of the deciduous trees. I really like being able to see things on the aerials in the woods that I wouldn't have known were even there.

I do a lot of cyber scouting of new areas to scout and hunt using Google Earth Pro with the topographic map overlay and Bing Maps. It helps me to determine the best places to burn some boot leather on the ground and get maximum impact.

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.