OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Affordable compact binoculars

Started by longspur, February 11, 2019, 11:46:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longspur

Seems all vortex diamondback 10x42 are not the same. DB205 and D241. Anybody know the difference

time4turks

I think they have discontinued them, but I have a pair of Vortex Talons in 8x32. They are very light, and compact, and I much prefer the 8x over 10x. Clarity is excellent. The optical sweet spot is large. And best of all, Vortex is incredible when it comes to customer service. One of my eye cups ended up binding for some reason so I sent them back and they completely took them apart, cleaned things out and sent them back within a couple of weeks. I own a couple of Vortex scopes as well. You can find less expensive binoculars, but you won't find a better company for customer service.

Rapscallion Vermilion

Quote from: longspur on February 14, 2019, 04:42:57 PM
Seems all vortex diamondback 10x42 are not the same. DB205 and D241. Anybody know the difference
The DB's are the newer model.  The D's refer to the Diamondback "Classic" model. 

RED NECK

I don't leave without my Bushnell perma focus 8x25's,my good friend got me hooked on them about 11 years ago when we were out turkey hunting one morning.After the hunt we went for breakfast and then to the store and I bought the same pair.I have never hunted without them since,bear,deer,turkey,moose etc.They are perfect and compact.
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

longspur

Quote from: Rapscallion Vermilion on February 14, 2019, 04:57:42 PM
The DB's are the newer model.  The D's refer to the Diamondback "Classic" model.

Does one have any great advantages over the other?

Rapscallion Vermilion

Quote from: longspur on February 15, 2019, 05:51:19 AM
Quote from: Rapscallion Vermilion on February 14, 2019, 04:57:42 PM

Does one have any great advantages over the other?
If you go to this Bird Watcher's Digest link and scroll down you can read a review of the new Diamondback series with some comparisons to the classic. 
https://www.birdwatchersdigest.com/bwdsite/explore/optics/affordable-8x42-binoculars.php

WW

My version of compact is something I can put in my cargo pants pocket...I use the $25 binos from Academy or Wal Mart. All I'm interested in is scanning and determining if a turkey I'm looking at is a Gobbler or not, and they do that very well.

dswmsn

Alpen compact binoculars all the way. Fantastic customer service!%

USMC0331

If you are worried about cost then pick up any pair under $200 dollars no big difference other than vortex offers lifetime warrenty. My friends that use them said they are quick to replace or fix. Quality optics cost for a reason.

longspur

I found a pair of vortex Diamondback 10x42 (DB205) for $175 shipped. Really wanted something smaller for turkey hunting but they will fit in my vest pocket and I can get a harness for bow hunting plus when trapping season opens I need to be able to tell the difference in a mature red tailed hawk and an immature at a distance, which is difficult with el cheepos. Thanks for all your input, you were helpful.

Chris O

Quote from: dswmsn on February 15, 2019, 11:32:51 AM
Alpen compact binoculars all the way. Fantastic customer service!%
I have a pair I have had for a long time they are way better than my buddy's Nikons. I don't remember how much they were but not much

dswmsn

Alpen Optics unfortunately has gone out of business...what a shame. Their customer service sent me a free updated version of the Apex 8x42 after I called requesting a replacement part on an earlier version. If you can locate a pair of the 8x21 Compact binoculars consider yourself lucky. These are the cheapest quality compact binoculars that money can buy.

Trax

Also use the Vortex compact monocular, which fits right in my vest, don't even notice it.

I have the 10x25 model, which is very clear and more than suitable for determining "does it have a beard?" when trying to discern between black blobs in big fields here in the East. I guess in Wyoming or something you'd need something  more substantial.

coyote1

I use Leupold rogue 8x25 for turkeys. Very compact, will fit in a vest pocket and light weight.

The diamondbacks are great, I use them for deer hunting but bigger than I like for turkey.

BMAC_Turkeys

Where did you find the binos on sale? Id be interested in having another pair as back up.