OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Affordable compact binoculars

Started by longspur, February 11, 2019, 11:46:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MK M GOBL

Quote from: Gobble! on February 11, 2019, 12:48:45 PM
Quote from: MK M GOBL on February 11, 2019, 12:38:01 PM
Love my Swarovski SLC's, I have a pair of 10x30's but it took me a while to find them, I got them at a a steal of a deal!! Pretty hard to beat them as far as optics go.

MK M GOBL

Not sure you can group affordable and Swarovski together very often.

l have to agree, I was using my 8x42 Alaskan Guides for years when I found these, just couldn't pass up the price :) and yes it was that good, but better 5 years in the waiting.

I have had a lot of customer go with the Nikon Monarchs in a 8x30's

MK M GOBL

compton30

Hard to argue with the Vortex Diamondback. Great price and a quality optic.

longspur

Quote from: Sixes on February 11, 2019, 07:33:18 PM
I have a set of vortex and I guess in the minority, I don't like them and never have.

I purchased a pair of Maven 9x45s for deer hunting and they are the best binoculars I have ever used. They are too big for turkeys, so I've been looking at getting some of the compact Mavens and giving them a shot.

What is it about them you don't like?

NCL

I have a pair of Zeiss compact binoculars that I have had for years that I got on sale. I bought my daughter Swarovski compacts last year and they are pricey but the optics is second to none.

Double B

Try Steiners head to head with some of these.  I use 8x30 military marine, not compact but smaller and I like the way they auto focus.  They are clear and sharp.  Predators are also good.
Followed by buzzards

Sixes

Quote from: longspur on February 12, 2019, 04:53:58 AM
Quote from: Sixes on February 11, 2019, 07:33:18 PM
I have a set of vortex and I guess in the minority, I don't like them and never have.

I purchased a pair of Maven 9x45s for deer hunting and they are the best binoculars I have ever used. They are too big for turkeys, so I've been looking at getting some of the compact Mavens and giving them a shot.

What is it about them you don't like?

Mainly the design around the eye piece, even with the eyecups twisted out, my eyelashes push against the lens so I have to hold them a little out front and that narrows the field of view to looking in a circle and makes them hard to focus with. My problem must not be common because people rate them very high.

I love the size and weight, but they are just not right foe me.

longspur

kyturkeyhunter4

g8rvet

My compacts are some Nikons that are so old, I do not recall the model.  At least 20 years old.  They still are crystal clear. 

But when I went shopping for some larger ones for scouting ducks, I talked to a buddy of mine that is an expert on optics (optometrist and hunter) and he suggested Vortex was the best for the price.  He gave me a lot of complex reasons, that I sorta understood.  Of course, if money is not an issue Swarovski.  Or Zeiss. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

kjnengr

After hearing guys suggesting the Vortex Diamondbacks for a while on this site, I picked up a pair last year.  I chose the 10 x 32 size because the are a little smaller  than the 10x40 size I typically use for deer hunting.  For me, I am only using the binoculars when the sun comes up later in the morning and on when I would be hunting/travelling through more open areas.  With good light, you don't need large objective lenses.  I have used the compact type in the past like these and they don't seem to hold up for me.  I am very pleased with the Diamondbacks and would purchase them again.

ssramage

Another vote for Vortex Diamondbacks, 8x32 here.

northms

Bought a pair of vortex diamondbacks 10x42 last fall for deer and turkey hunting. I've loved them so far. Look on Ebay before you by retail. I saved more than $50 on brand new pair on Ebay and didn't pay tax and free shipping. Good luck.

trkehunr93

Quote from: dirt road ninja on February 11, 2019, 11:47:48 AM
I'm pleased with Vortex diamondbacks

I agree, I love my pair.  I toted cheap Wally World tasco's for years but the Vortex Diamondbacks were very impressive.  They have nice rubber eyepiece covers and lens covers if you want to just keep them in your pack and not worry about dust/debris getting on them.  Mine are 10x42 and are great for glassing fields.

davisd9

I have a pair of Nikon Aculon that I really like. 
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

ElkTurkMan

Quote from: h2obil on February 11, 2019, 07:15:41 PM
I really like the     Cabelas Intensity HD binos -   they will fit in  your shirt pocket . They look like a small pair of  Swarovski's.  ?   $150 range
x2 This is what I have