turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

SBEII Question

Started by TTG, February 11, 2019, 11:25:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TTG

Hey guys, so I've got a SBEII that I was wanting to use more for turkey hunting to have a 2nd gun. I've got a 20g dedicated turkey gun but want to get this one more in gear for turkeys as well. My issue is that it shoots about a foot left at 40 yards with the IC .665 I have for it. This is shooting Longbeard #6's. However, I've shot many loads and it seems to consistently hit to the left. I've used some Truglo adjustable sights but They always seem to get moved around at some point in the season. So my questions are:

Would a non-ported choke maybe fix this? (guessing there's always a chance)
If I had it drilled and tapped for a FF3 or similar, is it easy to remove the sight/rail after the season? (To clarify, are there screws you can put in the holes when the rail is not attached)

I know these are dumb questions, but I have no experience the rail and sight stuff and am hoping to not buy a bunch of chokes to try out and then have to sell them or something.

Thanks in advance

deerpoo22

The SBE 2 is already drilled and tapped right outta the box. There's little brass looking screws in the holes to protect the threads. All you need is a mount on top and attach the FF3 to that. Mine shoots a 1.5 ft high at 40 using the bead on the barrel so a red dot on mine was a must.

1iagobblergetter

First thing I would do if you didn't already is shoot off of a bench using a gun cradle to possibly eliminate human error.
If you already did this I found with mine(4-6inches left I believe) by trying different choke and shell combinations it hits poa-poi..
I did spend alot of money in shells and chokes.
I've moved on from Sbe's as turkey guns. To finicky for my liking. Mainly just sit in the gun safe.

CrustyRusty

I actually leave my scope base on.  With the stepped rib I see right over the base and have no problems.  Either way, you can buy positive stop filler screws to fill the holes if you like.

Quote from: TTG on February 11, 2019, 11:25:51 AM
Hey guys, so I've got a SBEII that I was wanting to use more for turkey hunting to have a 2nd gun. I've got a 20g dedicated turkey gun but want to get this one more in gear for turkeys as well. My issue is that it shoots about a foot left at 40 yards with the IC .665 I have for it. This is shooting Longbeard #6's. However, I've shot many loads and it seems to consistently hit to the left. I've used some Truglo adjustable sights but They always seem to get moved around at some point in the season. So my questions are:

Would a non-ported choke maybe fix this? (guessing there's always a chance)
If I had it drilled and tapped for a FF3 or similar, is it easy to remove the sight/rail after the season? (To clarify, are there screws you can put in the holes when the rail is not attached)

I know these are dumb questions, but I have no experience the rail and sight stuff and am hoping to not buy a bunch of chokes to try out and then have to sell them or something.

Thanks in advance

Old Gobbler

A foot is a whole bunch ..does it shoot like that with open chokes ?like mentioned try a cradle to see of it's you and not the gun

either way you might want to see if bennelli will fix the barrel , sounds like a barrel with a bend or a misaligned choke thread job

The only thing I can say is sbe2 is a LIGHT gun weight it down with ammo and see if that helps
Shannon
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

TTG

I'll have to check again, but I think it's the IC. I know I've shot it with the factory chokes and as far as I can remember the POI was on the money. So I was wondering if it's caused by the ported choke. I thought I've read that it's a somewhat common issue with ported chokes. I was looking at the Rob Roberts and trulocks and Sumtoys as I think they all make some that are non-ported

Boykin Hollow

Same thing happened to me except my M2 - 20 gauge shot high.  I tried a lot of things and finally put a burris fastfire on it.  That was the only way I could calm it down

rdjustham

The gun should be drilled from the factory. Is it a camo dipped gun?  The plugs that come in the gun are put in before its dipped.  Run your finger down the receiver and you will feel them.  If i remember correctly they push down into the receiver to remove them.  I am shooting a Sumtoy and HEvi-13 #7s in mine but i put a Vortex Venom on it from the get go, so i dont know what the POA/POI was with just the bead.

gobblers roost

Agree Burris ff3 will solve the pro6

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk