OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Clothing  (Read 4084 times)

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
Re: Clothing
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2019, 04:51:48 PM »
Just do as suggested and get some chaps. Look at Mule you won’t be disappointed. I’ve never seen them rip. The original owner used to bring a piece of the material  to a coon hunt, cut it w a scissor and ask you to tear it further. If you could he’d give you a free pair. No one ever did it cept one guy took a razor knife to backside when Emmet wasn’t looking.
Anyway, they have waterproof types but I’d recommend the summer ones. I use them all the time. I’ll be honest not turkey hunting though. I’d just walk around an obstruction. How noisy would fighting through be??
The summer chaps have a mesh on back for ventilation. You’re walking fwd so it doesn’t matter. I use these in multiflira rose thickets all year long running dogs so they work. They also have almost full length zippers that allow taking off n on wearing boots. You could walk in, zip em off and leave em right there if you wanted. Pick em back up on way out or stuff em in your vest back pack.

Offline jims

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2019, 09:43:00 PM »
I cut down Russian olives and black locust at work....you want to talk about healthy thorns ( 1/2 to 2' long)!  I often wear Carhartt double knee pants and/or chaps made for chain sawing.  I wouldn't want to walk far with thick chaps but they certainly resist thorns. 

I also weed whack teasel, Scotch thistle, Canada thistle, etc.  Double fronted Carhartts work pretty well for hiking/weed whacking thistles all day long.

Offline VirgilCain

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2019, 07:15:46 AM »
Came across these last night, might give them a hard look.

https://danshuntinggear.com/bibs-camo-waterproof.html

https://danshuntinggear.com/category-pants-bibs.html
I wear the snake proof frog legs from there with a pair of redhead bug pants over them. Works great for me.

Offline Jmbradt3873

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2019, 08:38:46 AM »
I hunt in florida and wear "waterproof" snake boots that are about knee high, they will stop anything's that are not above the knee. If the black berries are higher than that I try to step higher so that I squash em down, doesn't always work, but usually limit the amount of extra holes I get. My knee high rubber boots also block thorns, but are less resistant to the "wait a minute" vines we have down here(1/2 to 1 inch thorns).

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Offline ssramage

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2019, 10:48:16 AM »
For most of my life, I wore a pair of handed down woodland BDU pants from my dad. Not the new ones, the old school, REAL BDUs. I killed a pile of animals in those pants. Unfortunately, I've packed on a pound or two and they just don't fit quite right anymore. One day I'll be back in them though...

Offline BobWalters

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2019, 03:50:20 PM »
Think I’m gonna try these out

https://danshuntinggear.com/bibs-camo-waterproof.html