OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Clothing  (Read 4096 times)

Offline BobWalters

Clothing
« on: February 11, 2019, 01:13:26 AM »
I need some hunting clothing, Camo pants mostly, that can handle thorns. Both by not ripping and keeping the thorns from poking through and tearing my legs up. What brand and particular pair does everyone like here Camo pants wise that’s good for fighting through thick brush and thorns to get to your hunting spot?

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
Re: Clothing
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 10:34:58 AM »
I don't know if any hunting pants that work well on thorns. Any pants that thick would be way too  hot and heavy. Maybe look into the chaps worn by upland game hunters I'm sure you could find them in camo, you'll only need one pair, and you can take them off when you get to a more open area, and there made for fighting thru thorn brush. You can also get the chaps in a snake proof material that would stop both fang and thorn. As far as name brand I'd go with Turtle Skins light weight good quality
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Offline BobWalters

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 02:32:58 PM »
Came across these last night, might give them a hard look.

https://danshuntinggear.com/bibs-camo-waterproof.html

https://danshuntinggear.com/category-pants-bibs.html

Offline appalachianstruttstopper

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 08:06:35 PM »
I wear jogging pants under my camo pants regardless of the temperature. Gets a little hot sometimes but not unbearable. Does a great job keeping thorns off my legs and i tuck them in my snake boots and wear my camo pants on the outside of my snake boots. Helps to keep the critters off my body as well.

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 06:10:41 AM »
I like the the Camo Carhartt pants. The are fairly tightly woven and of a stiff material. Seem do do a little better then most on thorny stuff

Offline Gobble!

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Raptor Killer
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 11:56:36 AM »
Cotton holds up to thorns better that polyester in my experience.

Offline Turkeyman

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 02:37:30 PM »
Our government only spent how many millions of our tax money to come up with BDU Woodland several decades ago. Great news...it still works as well today as it did back then! Irregardless of Bill Jordan et al pushing a new pattern every year to get into your wallet. Particularly the durability with the rip stop. The cut of the cloth can't be beat.

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2019, 04:15:01 PM »
Our government only spent how many millions of our tax money to come up with BDU Woodland several decades ago. Great news...it still works as well today as it did back then! Irregardless of Bill Jordan et al pushing a new pattern every year to get into your wallet. Particularly the durability with the rip stop. The cut of the cloth can't be beat.
How  does any of that pertain to thorn proof clothing? I wore BDUs everyday in the Army and regardless of the pattern they were a lot of things but thorn resistant wasn't one of them.

Offline Turkeyman

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2019, 04:38:19 PM »
Only thing "thorn proof" would be cowboy chaps or snake proof leggings. Both too cumbersome for me. At least BDUs are rip stop nylon unlike any other delicate stuff out there.

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 04:53:35 PM »
Only thing "thorn proof" would be cowboy chaps or snake proof leggings. Both too cumbersome for me. At least BDUs are rip stop nylon unlike any other delicate stuff out there.
Lol ripstop is not rip proof, the cotton material is no thicker or tougher than any cotton hunting pants. The whole ripstop purpose is to stop a small hole from becoming a large tear. The threads running horizontal and vertical every quarter inch or so is there to stop the hole at the thread. Wearing ripstop pants in thorns will get you just as torn up as non ripstop, the only difference would be you'd have a hundred 1/4 " long holes instead of 50 1/2" holes the wearer would not notice a difference. Military BDUs are made of cotton not nylon.

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2019, 04:55:02 PM »
I should have asked this question first to the OP. Is there not a way around all the thorns and briars? I've never seen turkeys inhabit briar thickets like rabbits.

Offline Divenut2

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2019, 04:57:48 PM »

This ^^^^^ x2. I haven't found anything that works better.  Use mine anytime I'm hunting the nasty areas.
Love fishing and Deer hunting (Shotgun, Muzzleloader & Pistol). Recently became addicted to Turkey Hunting.

Offline BobWalters

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2019, 02:55:19 PM »
I pass though about 40 acres of overgrown woods and thickets getting to my spot so thorns are abound everywhere.

Offline nyhunter

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2019, 05:25:19 PM »
Carhartt and Mossy oak gamekeepers both make camo pants that are 10-12oz cotton duck, if that isn't good try the carhartt double front pants you can get them in Moss green, or brown 

Offline Britton40

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2019, 05:52:13 PM »
Browning Wasatch